+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New 12' x 3' Intex pool in Texas

Default New 12' x 3' Intex pool in Texas

Wish I had found this forum sooner. Live 30 miles NW of Fort Worth. Set up a new Intex metal frame 12' x 30" pool 2 weeks ago. We filled with well water (filtered). Water is clean and clear. I have been using test strips and water testing at the pool store (closest store is 20 miles away). I posted the last test results (from the pool store) using the "Pool Chart Entry Form". They indicated that the Total Alkalinity is high and recommended adding 3 ounces of dry acid to the pool. Have done that 3 days in a row, but the test strips are still showing TA reading high. Question 1: suggestion for lowering the Total Alkalinity. Question 2: I have some Leslies ChlorBrite. How many ounces would you recommend in order to shock this pool (1700 gallons)? Thanks for the help.

BTW: After reading the forums I know I need to get a new test kit.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New pool in Texas

We don't trust test strips. For now, (until you order the Taylor K-2006 which I assume you plan to?), please post the numbers you got from the pool store here in this thread. Also, tell us the ingredients in the ChlorBrite.

Welcome to the Pool Forum, by the way!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

1. If you are able to keep your pH in control (7.2 - 7.6) don't worry about the alkalinity.

2. Get the K2006 as mentioned; you'll need it.

3. Your pool, at 1700 gallons, has a Pool Factor of 70. This means that if you add 1 lb of chlorine gas (or trichlor) to your pool, you will be adding 70 ppm of chlorine. If this product, http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool...ock/12047.html, is the one you mean, then 1 lb will add 70 * 55% ppm or 38 ppm. Dichlor (like that particular Chlor-Brite) usually weighs about 2 lbs per quart, or 1/2 pound per cup (dry measure). So 1/4 cup would would be about 5 ppm, which is a reasonable dose on a small pool.

4. You might want to read this page:
    Super-simple-pool-chemistry-recipe-for-Intex-type-pools-start-up-amp-routine-care.
    which describes a dichlor based method of small pool care.

Hey Watermom and PoolDoc,

Thanks for the info so far. Been reading the forums and learning a lot. We've had several of the Intex 12' blow up ring pools over the last 5 years. But last year we lost one due to hail (which insurance replaced, along with some siding on the house) and had trouble keeping the water balanced using the test strips as a general guide (what ya'll would call a guess) and the pool store testing. After reading the forums I am guessing that even pool stores don't get it right. So, yes I'll be ordering the Taylor kit.

After the first water sample the pool store sold/recommended we add a conditioner ( http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool...ers/12306.html ), the Chlor Brite (PoolDoc got it right) and 1" Chlor Tabs ( http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool...abs/12161.html ) in a floating chlorinator.

This is where we are now with the second pool store test results:
    Free Chlorine = 4ppm
    Total Chlorine = 4ppm
    Calcium Hardness = 150
    Cyanuric Acid = 99ppm
    Total Alkalinity = 140ppm
    pH = 7.8
    Total dissolved solids = 350
    Phosphates = 300 ppb

Their plan was to add dry acid to reduce TA, add soda ash to increase Calcium hardness and add PHOSfree (http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool...ers/14105.html) to reduce phosphates.

At this point all I have done is add some dry acid (the guess strip still shows TA as high), but the water is clear. For now I'll follow ya'lls advice, get the test kit, not worry about alkalinity (or the calcium - I am learning by reading the forums!) and monitor ph and chlorine levels.

Thanks again

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by garry View Post
    We've had several of the Intex 12' blow up ring pools over the last 5 years.
    That's consistent with what I've heard elsewhere on the Forum -- the Easy-Set pools don't last long. But we also hear of individual Intex metal frame pools lasting 5 years. You might want to consider switching next time.

Got the Taylor test kit:

Free chlorine = 9
    PH = 7.8
    Total Alkalinity = 290
    CYA = 90

Water is clear. Wondering what you would recommend at this point?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

+ Reply to Thread