+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hayward super pump 3/4 ?s

Default Hayward super pump 3/4 ?s

Hello, new member not a spammer. I am having issues with to much pressure on filter gauge. Replaced impeller, problem still exists. I believe it may still be a motor issue, the reason is pump was left to run for days dry. Motor sounds fine impeller spins freely. Not sure if maybe motor is spinning at less Rpms or has lost some power. Everything ran fine this yr prior to the run dry incident. Wasn't sure if there was a way to bench test the motor itself. Thanks guys mike.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Hayward super pump 3/4 ?s

When you turn the pump off, does the pressure gauge go to zero? If not, it could be just a bad pressure gauge. Tap it and see if the pressure changes. BTW, what is the pressure you are reading and what is it normally?

Induction motors either run or don't run, there is no in-between so it wouldn't be the motor causing the issue.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

membership updated.

Do check the gauge . . . especially if you've used a salt system. I recently discovered that 99+% of the gauges sold into the pool market are NOT salt compatible.

drband is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst drband 0

So what kind of gauge IS salt compatible?
    Thanks--

Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    membership updated.

Do check the gauge . . . especially if you've used a salt system. I recently discovered that 99+% of the gauges sold into the pool market are NOT salt compatible.
    10,000 gallon IG vinyl liner pool, BBB user, salt added to 2300 ppm (because it makes the water feel great!), new liner/new water on 6/23/11, algae-free since 2006 (at least that's as far back as I remember). 1HP Hayward 2-SPEED CONVERTED Superpump, Hayward sand filter, PS234 test kit.
    Goal: To remain completely algae-free for the life of this new liner!
    Life lesson: It is what it is.

12'x24' oval 9K gal IG pool; bleach; Hayward 244T sand filter; Hayward Super pump, 1 HP, 2-speed pump; 24hrs on low speedhrs; PS234; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; android phone; PF:13

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

How about: get a new gauge every year?
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

well after more inspection of the pump housing I have found a crack. I welded it up and am hoping tonite when i reinstall pump that the problem is solved. I think the crack may have been sucking air and this may have been causing my probs. thanks so much for the insight great site. Unfortunately I'm sure i will have more ?s later thanks again

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by drband View Post
    So what kind of gauge IS salt compatible? Thanks--
    These are:
    WIKA Industrial Pressure Gauge with Stainless Steel 304 Case and Stainless Steel 316L Wetted Parts
    As long as you don't let them freeze with water inside, these will last indefinitely. They are also much more accurate than typical pool gauges. I'll try to get back to this thread and post specific gauge recommendations out of that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Messina1974 View Post
    well after more inspection of the pump housing I have found a crack.
    . . .
    later thanks again
    Glad you were able to solve your problem!

+ Reply to Thread