+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black Spots on bottom of pool

Default Black Spots on bottom of pool

As my name suggests - I am new to pool ownership. I have a 16 X 32 in ground pool. Based on the information that I have already read on the forum (thank you!) - I've finally gotten the chemistry right. My question: there still remains some black spots on the bottom/sides of my pool. I've take a brush to remove them, but some seem very persistent in wanting to stay. Is there an easier solution rather than taxing my lungs swimming to the bottom and brushing them away? Thank you!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Black Spots on bottom of pool

I'm sorry - I should have said that. Vinyl. Thanks!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

That's hard. Black spots on vinyl can be several things, but usually none are easy to deal with.

1. Copper can stain black, but usually not a 'spot' -- more of a patchy area. Have you used copper in ANY form, say 4-in-1 tabs?

2. Fungal growth on the UNDERside of the liner, can release some sort of organic colorant. The only real solution is to remove the liner, and treat the surface underneath with an effective fungicide. Usually the liner has to be replaced. High levels of chlorine can lighten, but not remove the patches. Read the Best Guess page linked in my signature.

3. Rarely, black algae will form in a liner pool, if ineffective chlorine levels are sustained over a long period (or if non-chlorine methods are used). Swim down, scrape a spot with a fingernail, come up, smear the goo under the nail on a 3x5 card. Black algae smears dark green.

Thank you - it actually looks a bit better today. It seems almost that having the pool in chemical balance might be helping to remove them. I'll keep an eye on it. We have not used any copper (to my knowledge) - and no 4-1 tabs at all. Thanks so much!

+ Reply to Thread