+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another newcomer as well with a cloudy intex pool.

Default Another newcomer as well with a cloudy intex pool.

I am posting this because I see plenty of issues with cloudy pools, but my issue is that mine completed filling today. I wish I discovered this site before I filled, after seeing the sticky.

So my 18' x 48" Intex pool was filling for approximately 24 hours. It seemed very clear at first but then as it completed, it seemed really cloudy. Im a complete noob at this, but it just does not seem my hose water should be pumping out cloudy water? I live in Dallas, Texas and get my water from a public water supply. I have had the filter running over 6 hours without any improvement. I have not bought any test kits or chemicals because like I said, this water has been there for less than 24 hours and of course I hadn't known about the pre-fill shopping list >< Also, its not too cloudy where you can't see the bottom. (pic below)

So what does one do AFTER the pool is filled for less than a day in a brand new pool?

I'm sorry if I hadn't searched hard enough, just didn't seem to find any with cloudy water so soon.

Thanks for any ideas, enclosing a picture in case it helps

Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-26-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: fix pix

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Another newcomer as well with a cloudy intex pool.

Hi, Nicki, and welcome to the Pool Forum! Sorry it has taken us a bit to get to your post.

How does the water look now? Tell us exactly what all you have put in the pool thus far meaning ingredients and not just 'shock.'

Have you ordered a Taylor K-2006 or 2006C yet? If not, do so asap.

Congrats on the new pool! Repost and somebody will try and help you get this cleared up.

Ok, since I posted this we went to Leslie's pool supplies and picked up Power Powder Plus, by recommendation of an employee, and put that in over 24 hours ago and now it is incredibly clear. The store also offers free water testing as well, so we plan on taking a water sample up to them and see what they have to say. Thank you for the reply!!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

What are the ingredients of the powder? Also, be careful. Most pool store testing is not very accurate and they often sell you things which you don't need.

This was the product sold to us: Power Powder plus.

I know I definitely want to be careful and use as few chemicals as possible. That was the only thing they sold us and gave us a bottle to bring back a water sample.

The ingredients of that powder are calhypo which is fine to use. It does add calcium to the pool though which you don't need. It isn't a problem unless the calcium hardness gets too high.

Do yourself a favor and order yourself the kit I mentioned above. It is much better than relying on a pool store for testing.

Glad the pool looks better!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Membership updated.

I'm really surprised that (a) your pool filled with tap water that cloudy, and (b) that cal hypo cleared it that fast. Cal hypo, used optimumly, has some side effects that can produce VERY clear water, but I still very surprised, and rather curious about what was going on.

Regardless: cal hypo is unstabilized, so you'll need some stabilizer. You can get it two ways. You can add it directly, OR you can add it chemically bound to chlorine. Leslie's sells Chlor-Brite dichlor, which is 55% available chlorine, but about 50% stabilizer. (I know the percentages don't add up -- but they are correct. It's a long complicated story, that goes back to how available chlorine was determined 100 years ago.) Anyhow, if you add 10 ppm of chlorine to your pool with cal hypo, you *also* get 7 ppm of calcium and no stabilizer. If you add 10 ppm of chlorine to your pool with dichor, you get no calcium but 8 ppm of stabilizer.

From your photo, I see you have an Easy Set. We've discovered here that the Intex metal frame pools are usually quite durable, but that the Easy Set (inflatable ring) pools are not. The problem seems to be that birds, cats, or squirrels get on the donut and puncture it. You probably want to make sure you know where your patch kit is, and be ready to use it. Also, over inflating the ring can result in OVERpressure on hot days, which is another source of failure.

Good luck!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

thread moved to correct location . . .

+ Reply to Thread