Thread: Want to switch from Pristine Blue to Chlorine

Cool Want to switch from Pristine Blue to Chlorine

Hi,

I have used Pristine Blue every summer since we got our pool. This year the opening has been a nightmare!

We live in the woods and so we have always had lots of leaves to remove when opening the pool. This year we removed the cover, lots of leaves fell in (always happens). We filled up to the correct level and started the filter. We added lots of shock and scooped out lots of leaves, then it started raining. It rained for days and days.

I always add lots of hypo chlor shock and when the water goes from cloudy green to where we can see the leaves all in the middle we use big leaf nets and scoop them all out. Usually it clears up alot in 24 hours or so. More shock, more scooping, vaccuum to waste and then we balance the water and add the Pristine Blue products.

Not this year. Last weekend we tried again. We have scooped our guts out and put in 4 lbs of shock every 24 hours, back washed the filter and its still cloudy green with algae growing all over the floor. The algae that's coming out with the leaves is blue green gunk...

I am going to purchase a test kit after work tonight. I have never tested the water myself I have just taken it to the pool store that sold us the pool and bought the Pristine Blue products from them, except I have always ordered the shock (63% super shock) online because we were told that the Pristing Blue shock doesn't work well in Oklahoma because of the heat and I could get it cheaper online.

Every other year our pool water has been crystal clear and beautiful long before June 18th!

I did a Google search for cloudy green pool water and found this site! I love it!

I read on this forum about copper not keeping the water properly sanitized and I was appalled! I want clean, safe water for our pool! Please help!

I don't have a signature set up (it won't let me do it yet) so here is some information about our pool.

33' round, AG, 25,000 gallons, sand filter, 2 speed pump, I think 1/2 HP. Pool bought in 2006. We live in Oklahoma. We also have well water and tend to run high on PH (in the past).

Default Re: Want to switch from Pristine Blue to Chlorine

pristine blue uses copper as a "sanitizer" and is supposedly not healthy for you. you may need too do a partial/full water change, and then start using chlorine. I like to use bleach in my pool. works out great and is very cost effective. I would also get a copper sample to see how much copper is in your water, if it is low, you may be able to start the conversioni to bleach/chlorine. if it is too igh however you may need to change the water. also, you need to know how much CYA you have (stabilizer) if it is very high you may need to do water changes to get into a proper level where the chlorine can be more useful.