+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Automatic Pool Cleaner for Above-ground pool

Default Automatic Pool Cleaner for Above-ground pool

I am using the Dirt Demon that came with my pool. It is a 28 foot round AG pool. It doesn't clean the whole pool even with extra hose and gets stuck at the steps. I hate this thing. I might as well vacuum manually. I'm looking for an automatic cleaner to replace this one. I want one that will do the whole pool and not get stuck at the steps. I've been looking online and reading reviews. I really don't want to spend over 300.00 but am willing to go up to as much as 500.00 if I can get something that actually works. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Automatic Pool Cleaner for Above-ground pool

membership upgraded.

Regarding pool cleaners, the unfortunate fact is that only the pressure side cleaners and the robotic cleaners perform well MOST of the time. As best I can tell, the best record any other type of cleaner can boast is that they work well for more than 1/2 of their users.

BUT . . . robotic cleaners do well ONLY in light load situations, like indoor pools, or out west. In the east, where there tends to be lots of storm debris, pollen, and bugs . . . they don't do so well.

AND . . . pressure side cleaners with a booster pump have to have a built-in line.

Pressure side cleaners, that run off of the pool pump, may, or may not, work depending on a variety of factors. If you want to have a good chance of success, you MUST read the manual first, and test your pool, to see if it will work for you.

Polaris has been at this longer, and more successfully, than any other company. So far as I can tell, their purchase a few years back by Zodiac has not resulted in a product quality decline of their core products, pool cleaners. So, I'd look there first.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Did a bit of checking; here's a place to start:

Polaris Vac-Sweep 65 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner for Above Ground Pools

And, the manual:
    Zodiac 65/165 Turbo Super Turtle Owner's Manual

Remember, read the manual before you buy. And read the Amazon reviews.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

That Polaris 65 is one of the vacs that I use on my AG pool. It does a good job picking up big stuff --- twigs, leaves, etc., but not so good at dirt and dust. I mainly use that one in the spring when I first open and there is a lot of debris dropping from all the trees and then again in the fall when the leaves start falling. (I have trees around my pool.) Putting cotton balls in the bag does help it catch some of the smaller stuff but even with cotton, it doesn't do such a great job with picking up dirt. The swoosh of the tail as it moves around the pool gets a lot of the dirt stirred up into suspension.

For the rest of the summer, if I use something other than just doing it manually, I use a Wanda the Whale. Wanda is a suction-side cleaner. She walks around the bottom of the pool and does a pretty good job picking up dirt. But, she does sometimes have trouble staying on her "feet." I am noticing that issue more this year than in previous years for some reason.

Honestly, I can do a much better job just vacuuming the pool manually and I can do it faster, too. I actually don't mind vacuuming. It is too difficult to do from outside the pool, though. I just get in and mindlessly walk slowly around as I vacuum.

Hope this helps you some.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it! I took your advice and bought the Polaris 65. I had read the reviews on it previously and it was one of the cleaners that I thought sounded good but since I'm a fairly new pool owner I wanted to check here. My pool is very close to the woods so we do get a lot of tree matter in the pool at times and especially closer to the end of the season. I'll try the cotton balls for the sand and see how my luck goes with that. How many cotton balls do you put in the bag?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Thanks and will do!

I've used it 3 times now and I do like it. It picks up a lot and the pool seems really clean when I'm done. It covers the entire pool and very rarely gets stuck at the steps and it's amazing how it works it's way out of a jam when the hoses get coiled up. I'm not sure that it's getting the really superfine stuff because after some time passes there are spots where dirt seems to have resettled on the pool floor. But all in all I'm pleased with it.

Thanks for the follow-up info!

+ Reply to Thread