+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nut Grass Invasion and Divots in the Coving.

Default Nut Grass Invasion and Divots in the Coving.

Well it looks like I’m on the verge of a nut grass invasion there are over a dozen pointed things poking up in the bottom of my liner. They are spread out in spots around the bottom of the pool. Also my pool installer is coming out to check out the divots in the sand coving all around the pool that they claim are from burrowing animals not poor installation. But they have been there from when the pool was filled. I have never had any mole or other problems. The Pool has been installed 1 month now. It’s a 24’ round above ground 52” high pool. Any advice?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Nut Grass Invasion and Divots in the Coving.

I've never encountered nut-grass, but it's my understanding that (a) it can penetrate liners, (b) it can be prevented by used of under-liner herbicides, (c) it's a local problem that your builder should have been familiar with.

Animals? How deep? Moles don't usually got that deep. Chipmunks can go deeper.

And, you might well have moles or chipmunks, without them being a problem before, simply because whatever they did previously did not affect anything of yours.

. . . . But I'm guessing. Post pictures (Webshots, Flickr, Picasa, etc) if you want a better answer.

The pool has only been up and running 30 days or so. If I had an underwater camera I could take some pictures. But there is no sign of any activity outside of the perimeter of the pool. The pool was sight was dug down to the hard clay about 6 to 12 inches. I really suspect that they did not compact the sand right because the divots showed up soon after the pool was filled. The divots range from 1 to 3.5 inches deep and the largest is the size and shape of a pro football.

As far as the Nutgrass we have it here in Georgia. The salesman claims that he there was 6lbs of commercial grade Nutgrass treatment put down before the sand was filled in. But now that something that looks like its slightly larger than the diameter of a head of a ball point pen poking up and the blue of the liner is turning white at the tip of the point. I guess we will find out Monday what is going on. The installer is coming to drain the pool and pull the liner back to see what is going on.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by corymunson View Post
    The installer is coming to drain the pool and pull the liner back to see what is going on.
    Sounds like the correct next step. Also sounds like your installer is trying to get away with ducking and running.

+ Reply to Thread