Closed Thread

Thread: Using a 5.5 kw hottub heater to heat a 18ft intex pool?

Default Using a 5.5 kw hottub heater to heat a 18ft intex pool?

So i have an 18foot intex easy set pool. And an free 5.5kw hot tub heater i got for free. I did some calculations it is seems like it will function to my needs. I am only going to use it to bring the pool up maybe 10 degs on some weekends at the start and end of the season. I know it is way undersized for the pool. Does this seem like it will be effective. Or will it loose its faster then the heater can maintain? We aslo use a soler cover.
    Thanks.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Using a 5.5 kw hottub heater to heat a 18ft intex pool?

I can only tell you that you are entirely on your own. These items (donut pool and spa heater) were not designed to work together. The plumbing is incompatible and the electrical bond assumed to be present in a standard pool / spa is not present in an Intex Easy Set. You have to be sure that you don't electrocute your swimmers. The stakes are high when it comes to home-built pool electrical systems.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

@ Mattiemo: membership updated.

BUT, to reiterate what BigDave said, this is NOT something we will support or discuss. It's inherently dangerous. The mere fact that you are asking the question here establishes that you almost certainly can NOT do this safely: anyone who could, wouldn't need to ask!

Sorry, but I am closing and locking this thread.

thanks for the reply. can you explain the electrical bond issue or put a link to it. i am not really jerry rigging it. the heater along with a pump and filter are all plummed together and bolted to a pallet. the heater has a ground wire that runs off the copper heating pipe that would of course be grounded when i set it up. Is there something i dont understand that makes it any more unsafe (when hooked up properly) then a purpose build electric pool heater.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Bonding does not apply to a an AG pool.

Packaged spas tend to have built in safeties to prevent you from 'lighting' up the water with 220v.

No, this is not a conversion I want to support here. Electricity and water mix in fatal ways. A chlorine oops might burn some skin or -- at worst -- put out an eye. A 220V oops will put you or someone in your family in the grave.

I've seen far more 'near misses' with bad electrical connections at pools, then I've ever seen with chemicals.

Nope. Not going there.

What I said before remains true: if you knew enough to be able to do this SAFELY, you'd know enough to not need our advice. The very fact that you are asking PROVES that you do not know how to do this safely. God sometimes spares children and fools . . . but depending on that is not a safety plan.

DO NOT DO IT!

Closed Thread