+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much sand do I need under Intex pool??

Default How much sand do I need under Intex pool??

Hello, I just bought my first pool (Intex 15'x48'' round above ground). I rented a front end loader last weekend to level out the ground, which was previously a vegetable garden (hasn't grown anything for 2 years). HOW MUCH SAND DO I NEED to put under the pool now. People are saying 2 to 5 tons. That is a huge difference!!! I've also heard a "truck load" or 2. How much is that? I'm NOT buying sand by the bag, but will purchase it by weight...ex. 2 tons, if that's how much I need. PLEASE HELP ME ANSWER THIS QUESTION!!! Thank you!!!
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-13-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: change title

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: How much sand do I need under Intex pool?

Hi and welcome to the Pool Forum! I do not know the answer to your question but changed your title to hopefully catch the eye of someone who might know.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Hi Sephoraz!
    It's an odd question as large amounts of sand are not usually sold by weight but by cubic yard-3'x3'x3'. You buy a "yard" or two "yards" or 5 "yards".
    Depending on the surface underneath, you'll want at least 3" of sand, if not more, and you'll want it to cover at least a 16'x16' area so it's bigger than the pool. That would take about 2 1/2 yards of sand, minimum, so you'd get 3 yards. I have no idea how much a yard weighs and, of course, that depends in large part how dry it is. Intex used to sell a 16x16 vinyl ground "cloth" you put over the sand and then set the pool on. This helped protect the bottom of the pool. I would then put a blue tarp over the sand base in the winter and stake it down to protect the sand.
    Carl

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Please be sure that the sand doesn't have a path to wash away. Sand can't be used to build up but it is good underfoot it it's contained.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

membership upgraded.

+ Reply to Thread