+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are the stains from metal or algae?

Default Are the stains from metal or algae?

Stains are green, blotchy, smooth to the touch. I have super-chlorinated twice to 30 ppm and brushed. They were not there when I closed my pool last fall, but they were there this spring when I opened it. I assumed they were algae since the water was very green as usual. I used a Nature 2 last season but did not replace the cartridge this year after reading about it. What is the best way to tell if the stains might be from metal rather than algae?
    26,000 gallon plaster Oasis shape 40' x 18'. 54 sq. ft. vertical grid DE filter. 1 hp pump.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Are the stains from metal or algae?

Thanks Watermom. I don't have any in the house, so I'll have to pick some up and try that. I don't suppose I can substitute an over 50 multivitamin, lol?
    26,000 gallon plaster Oasis shape 40' x 18'. 54 sq. ft. vertical grid DE filter. 1 hp pump.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Yikes! No! You already suspect a metals problem - don't put "Silver" in.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Haha Big Dave - thanks for the tip! OK, I tried the vitamin C tablet, rubbing on the same green spot until it was worn down to my fingers - didn't seem to have any affect.

Just an end of summer followup to this thread. I maintained the pool water at 5 - 10 ppm FC and CYA at 60 and the stains gradually went away. I am assuming the stains were algae and just stubborn because they faded away in a few weeks and are now gone.

Quote Originally Posted by tfrailey View Post
    Just an end of summer followup to this thread. I maintained the pool water at 5 - 10 ppm FC and CYA at 60 and the stains gradually went away. I am assuming the stains were algae and just stubborn because they faded away in a few weeks and are now gone.
    Thanks for the follow up. It's mvery helpful to others who may have the same isue. Too many times people will post their problem but not follow up.

Btw, I had something similar happen one time. Once I started adding CL it went away.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread