+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suction Side Problems: Air Leaks, Bubbles in Returns, Pump Won't Prime, etc.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Suction Side Problems: Air Leaks, Bubbles in Returns, Pump Won't Prime, etc.

Last edited by PoolDoc; 06-20-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Default Re: Suction Side Problems: Air Leaks, Bubbles in Returns, Pump Won't Prime, etc.

I went through each of these threads as I have a suction side leak. My problem is slightly different though. I get bubbles out of the outlets and twice now my pump has lost prime. However each time after I backwash it primes fine again. I just changed the sand in the filter a couple of weeks ago. Is it possible that the new sand is working so well that it loses prime?

I usually backwash every 2 days or more if I'm vacuuming.
    22x35 kidney IG. 1 1/2 hp Hayward, 300 # sand filter, Aquabot cleaner.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Suction Side Problems: Air Leaks, Bubbles in Returns, Pump Won't Prime, etc.

I can't think of a series of causes and effects that would result from your change of sand, and lead to a suction leak.

Oops. I thought of something.

It *is* possible that your new sand has lowered back pressure (really, resistance to flow) on the output (effluent) side of the pump. This would in turn lead to higher overall flow, and thus increased negative pressure on the input (influent, suction) side of the pump. That might, in turn, stress a pre-existing weak point in your suction lines or valving, and possibly increase the damage or opening there.

But, it still comes down to there being a leak in the suction side piping and valving. The sand might have triggered a worsening of the leak, but it didn't cause the leak in the first place, and is not related to the location of the leak.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

By the way, you do not need nor want to backwash every two days or even every time you vacuum. You only backwash when the pressure rises 8-10psi over clean filter pressure.

+ Reply to Thread