+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Test Results - Cloudy Water

Question Test Results - Cloudy Water

I opened my pool about a month ago and everything went great! I had surgery last week and I was unable to keep up with the pool while in the hospital and we had lots of rain and HOT weather. When I got home the pool was GREEN! I didn't know what to do so I added Algicide which helped the greenness, nows its a light cloudy blue gray color and I can't see the bottom. I've read alot of these posts on here and you all have helped me so much- THANK YOU. I think I figured out what to do but I wanted to be sure. My pool is 10,000 gal vinyl with a Hayward sand filter. Here are my test results:

CL 0
    CYA 60
    PH 8.2 which is the highest (it was bright red)

I was using bags of shock until I came to pool forums and it the chlorine levels would always be 0. I started adding a gallon of bleach here and there and still 0. NOW I just went to the store and bought 10 gallons of 5.25% bleach! From what I've read I need to get my chlorine up to about 20ppm because my CYA is 60 and by using the bleach calc. I need to add about 3.5 gal of bleach which I just did. How long do I want to keep my chlorine level at 20? Just until it clears up then keep it within normal range? I know I need to get my PH down but wasn't sure about adding the acid now or wait until I get my chlorine levels under control first??? Its all so confusing but I'm trying!

Am I off to a good start??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!!

poolbuoy is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst poolbuoy 0

Smile Re: Test Results - Cloudy Water

sounds like you know what to do, Just do it...

Default Re: Test Results - Cloudy Water

I HOPE I know what to do! It had already been done...crossing my fingers for a crystal clear pool soon! Thank you!

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

I'd get that pH lowered sooner than later, because bleach tends to increase pH in some pools. Muriatic acid would be quicker and easier. Just be careful when you add it, it's potent. Wear gloves, goggles and keep away from fumes. Michaels bleachcalc will allow you to figure out the calculations for both pH and chlorine/bleach, just download. http://www.hal-pc.org/~mwsmith2/BleachCalc262.exe

You need to keep the chlorine up to shock levels until you not longer have combined chlorine and you hold your chlorine levels overnite.

Good luck.

CaryB
    Go 'Canes

Thumbs up Re: Test Results - Cloudy Water

Just added about 2 cups of Muriatic acid....crossing my fingers! Thank you!

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

First question, what are you testing the chlorine with. OTO (turns yellow but only measures TC accurately), DPD (turns pink and can bleach out with high chlorine levels making you think there is no chlorine in the pool) FAS-DPD (a titration test that will accurately determine FC and CC with high chlorine levels) or test strips which might or might not bleach out with high chlorine levels.

If your chlorine levels are high your pH readings are bogus because high clorine levels will cause the pH to look like it is 8.2 when it is actually much lower (possibly as low as 6.6!)

It is also possible that you have a very high chlorine demand in the pool and the chlorine is getting used up very quickly. This is what I think is occurring. Many algacides can create a chlorine demand like this so if you are using an OTO or FAS-DPD test and it shows no chlorine then you just need to keep putting it in until it takes care of the the demand created by the algae and the algaecide in your pool.

If you can determine that there actually is no chlorine in the pool then by all means get the pH down. It will help the chlorine to work better.

IMHO, test the water with OTO and keep the TC level up until the pool clears. It might take a day and a LOT of bleach but it will clear.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Lightbulb Re: Test Results - Cloudy Water

I am testing with OTO.

Yes I too think the pool has a very high chlorine demand especially after the algecide. I will continue to add the bleach. Good thing I stocked up today!

I added the Muriatic acid and a tested a few hours later. PH is lower and chlorine with WAY high! BRAVO!

Question: Since I can't see the bottom should I still vacuum? Should I scrub the bottom? I scrubbed the bottom today and it turned green again, not as bad of a green but still green. Does this mean there is still live algea at the bottom? Also, should the high chlorine levels kill the algea off?

Thank You!

The high chlorine levels will kill the algae
    Completed 8/21/06
    14,000 gallon 3'-6' concrete pool with Diamond Brite
    Spa with spillway
    250K BTU gas heater (for spa)
    SWCG - Aqua Rite
    Hayward Super II Pump - Cartridge filter

See pictures here http://www.philsimmons.com/family/ga...mages&keyword=

Exclamation Re: Test Results - Cloudy Water

Okay - Here are my test results this morning:

CYA 60
    CL 5.0+ bright yellow but not as bright as last night so I added another gallon and a half of bleach
    PH 7.5

The water is still cloudy, can't see the bottom but the color looks like its getting better. More of a blue than gray

I'm brushing the pool, should I also be vacuming?

Since the chlorine stayed in the pool overnight does this mean whatever is making the water cloudy is almost gone? When I shocked it a few nights ago there was no chlorine when I retested a few hours later.

What does dead algea look like? Will it still be green? Will it float or sink?

There is a white film on the surface of the water, what could that be?

Thank you!!

Question Re: Test Results - Cloudy Water

UPDATE: I purchased the hayward aqua critter, diving dave actually! He is due to arrive tomorrow. Will this help suck up the dead algea and clear up the cloudiness?

Also, I tested again this afternoon and the chlorine is staying at the same levels. I hope all is dead now!

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread