+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice on adding -

Post Advice on adding -

Good Morning All -

I'm happy to report that the algae wars have been going great! The enemy looks to be dead. Now to get the chemistry correct and keep this little demon from invading our pool again this year.

Here's what my Taylor tells me about the water in the pool:

Ph is <7.0, FC 8.6, CC 0, TA 60, CH 100, CYA 0

Looks as though I need about 7.2 boxes of borax, 24 lbs of baking soda, and 13 lbs of stabilizer. I understand that I will need to add all this slowly. Say, add half and then recheck to verify I'm headed in the correct direction.

Just wanted to get a second or third or ? opinion on my plan of action.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice -
    20x40 rectangle 36K* gal IG painted concrete pool; Chlorinator; Tagelus sand filter; Century Centurion 1 speed pump; 8 hrs; solar heat, Solar Heater home made; Taylor K-2006; utility water; summer: none; winter: mesh; android phone; PF:4.4

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Advice on adding -

I think I would only add 2 boxes of Borax to start and see how much that moves the pH and then add more if needed. Also, I would only add a couple of lbs. of baking soda at a time. You don't want to risk clouding up the pool. The amount of CYA should be about right. You will probably want to bump your CH up to between 200-400.

Sounds like you have a good handle on things. Good to see you back on the forum this year!

Default Re: Advice on adding -

Thanks Watermom - I took your advice and limited my add to your suggested amounts. I'll test again in the morning and see about the mix then.

I've been 'lurking' on the forum off and on all winter. As a newbie to all things pool related I just felt it best to sit quietly in the cheap seats and watch and learn rather than jumping in conversations only to prove my ignorance.

BTW, the main problem I had last year, aside from the algae wars, was a 'mostly clogged' water line. There was a dedicated vacuum line added sometime before we bought this place. The problem was they ran the line straight out of the pool for about 30 feet and then made a 90 deg. turn to run another 30 or so feet to the pool house. I wasn't able to get anything to clear out the jam in the 90 elbow so this spring I dug it up and replaced it with two 45's. Now the pump is humming along nicely and I've been able to bring our pool from frog haven to almost crystal clear in a little over a week! I should have things where they need to be for swimming tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks to you guys and gals for taking the time to help - all y'all go ahead and take a hug out of petty cash, each of you deserve it! ! !
    20x40 rectangle 36K* gal IG painted concrete pool; Chlorinator; Tagelus sand filter; Century Centurion 1 speed pump; 8 hrs; solar heat, Solar Heater home made; Taylor K-2006; utility water; summer: none; winter: mesh; android phone; PF:4.4

+ Reply to Thread