+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Trichlor effect on TA and pH

Default Question about Trichlor effect on TA and pH

So I tested my pool some yesterday after finding this awesome forum, and found that my CYA <30, and pH~8.2. I read somewhere on here that Trichlor will lower pH while increasing CYA. Is this correct? Could this be, sort of, a win-win situation? Also, how many Trichlor tabs would I start with? My pool is ~15000 gal.
    I added 2 gal of 8.25% bleach last night and the TC is 2-4. I plan to order a better test kit next week, but have the HTH 6 test now.

Thanks in advance!

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Question about Trichlor effect on TA and pH

Trichlor would definitely be a good choice for your pool for now. Start with a couple of pucks and then add more as needed. Keep an eye on your numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Trichlor would definitely be a good choice for your pool for now. Start with a couple of pucks and then add more as needed. Keep an eye on your numbers.
    Aight then, I'll give it a go. Thanks

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Yes, Tri-chlor releases about 6ppm of stabilizer (CYA) for every 10ppm of free chlorine (FC) it releases. It is also very, very acidic so it's an excellent all-in-one choice for you now. When CYA reaches your target level, you'll want to switch back to bleach/LC. Each gallon of 8.25% bleach will add about 5.5ppm of FC to your water.
    Carl

Finally got the K-2006C and a day off! So I have the following results which seem to be pretty good or am I missing something. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
    89F
    FC=4.2
    pH=7.8
    TA=130
    CH=190
    CYA~52
    CC=0.4

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Those numbers don't look too bad! Make sure you keep your chlorine in range based on your CYA level (Best Guess Chart). A CC of 0.4 is something to keep an eye on. If it goes higher than 0.5, you'll want to shock the pool. Your pH is ok at 7.8 but if it goes to 8.0, you'll want to lower it some.

By the way, use the 10ml sample instead of the 25ml sample when you test. It will make your reagents last longer. You don't really need readings within 0.2ppm; 0.5 is close enough.

Overall those numbers are just fine! Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Those numbers don't look too bad! Make sure you keep your chlorine in range based on your CYA level (Best Guess Chart). A CC of 0.4 is something to keep an eye on. If it goes higher than 0.5, you'll want to shock the pool. Your pH is ok at 7.8 but if it goes to 8.0, you'll want to lower it some.

By the way, use the 10ml sample instead of the 25ml sample when you test. It will make your reagents last longer. You don't really need readings within 0.2ppm; 0.5 is close enough.

Overall those numbers are just fine! Keep up the good work!
    Sweet! Thanks a bunch. I'm going to wallyworld to get some bleach in a few minutes to give it a good shock. We had a gathering yesterday so I plan to hit it with 3 gallons of 8.25% bleach tonight, which should bring it to ~20 on chlorine.

+ Reply to Thread