+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shoddy Intex pump broken - new pump recommendations or ideas to fix it

Default Shoddy Intex pump broken - new pump recommendations or ideas to fix it

SO my Intex pump is no longer working after using it for a couple months last year I set up the pool a day ago and now we can't use it because the pump is broken. My warranty expired 2-3 months ago I did a bunch of tests. The motor doesn't seem to spin freely. It kind of pops when I try to spin it. I am not sure if that is how it is supposed to be or if it should spin freely. Is there anything I can try to get it working?

Searching online shows Intex does not offer that as a replacement part, nor does anyone else. Our pool is 18' x 9' It was an Intex 1500 gph pump? model 635. I also have the Intex salt water system. Can I upgrade to a sand filter? Is there a different company that makes a reasonably priced filter I could buy? Once I get a shoddy piece of equipment I no longer purchase from that company if there are any other reasonable options.

Thank You in advance

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Shoddy Intex pump broken - new pump recommendations or ideas to fix it

Intex equipment generally works well . . . for the price. Quality control is a problem, but they are fairly good about first season replacements. After that, you're on your own.

You can purchase a small standard AG pool pump and filter -- $500? -- and connect it with flex pipe. Or you can just get a replacement Intex pump and filter.

How you store it in the winter matters -- out of the weather and dry should do it.

Default Re: Shoddy Intex pump broken - new pump recommendations or ideas to fix it

One of these would do you well. For some reason Intex ships the lesser quality pump/filter units with the pools, I'm assuming that they intend for you to upgrade after the first season.

Or you could go with one of these cartridge filter/pump units. Mine works quite well, with the Unicel 5305 cartridge.
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

+ Reply to Thread