+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chlorinator w/ tabs & liquid chlorine?

Question Chlorinator w/ tabs & liquid chlorine?

I just bought a house with an inground pool and just replaced the vinyl liner and got it set up with water from a company and hose water. My alkalinity & Ph are good but I cannot get the chlorine to show up. I have a Hayward Chlorinator and have two 3in tablets- in it. I have shocked it with power powder (diluted it in a bucket of water first). The only time I had a reading of chlorine was about 1/2 hour after adding the power powder. I did buy some liquid chlorine bleach at the store (after reading pool solutions) that I was going to add at night into the pool skimmer but wasn't sure if I could do that with the tabs in the chlorinator. My guess is that I have maybe a small about of stabilized chlorine from the tabs but no unstabilized chlorine? I just ordered a Taylor test kit and it should arrive any day now. Still would like to get some chlorine registering before then.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Chlorinator w/ tabs & liquid chlorine?

You probably don't have enough CYA and your chlorine is just being lost to the sun. You'll probably have to add bleach a couple of times a day until you get some stabilizer in there. It is ok to use bleach but just make sure you pour it into the pool away from your trichlor. You don't want them to have direct contact with each other but once in the water, it is no problem. It will take a while for trichlor to build up your CYA level. For every 10ppm of free chlorine that trichlor adds, it will add 6ppm of CYA. If you use your chlorinator, you'll need to monitor your CYA level after awhile so that your CYA level doesn't get too high.

Once you get your kit, post a full set of numbers.

Welcome to the Pool Forum!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Chlorinator w/ tabs & liquid chlorine?

membership upgraded.

+ Reply to Thread