+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Percentage sodium hypochlorite?

Default Percentage sodium hypochlorite?

Silly me picked up some reasonably priced Giant Grocery brand bleach and thought the percentage sodium hypochlorite was on the inside of the label...umm, its not. Its just plain not labeled. I thought I'd get one to get through until I got to Costco but now I have zero clue how much to add. Is there anyway to test the bleach to determine the percentage using my K-2006. Trying to wrap my head around the chemistry but I'm a few too many years out from my basic sciences to figure it out on no sleep. :-)
    35,000 gallon in-ground, vinyl with a sand filter

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Percentage sodium hypochlorite?

Even a big jug(182 oz ) of 8.25% in35,000 gallons is less than 3ppm. Pour it all in and get more tomorrow.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

This from the forum archive, I think it will help you:

Yes, you CAN test it. Somewhere around here is the work I did last summer on this.

If you add (as I remember) 1.8ml of bleach to a 5 gallon bucket of NON-pool water, you can test the concentration.

The idea is that if one gallon of 6% bleach adds 6ppm of FC to 10,000 gallons, then 1.8ml (?) adds the same concentration to 5 gallons.

If you simply do the division and conversion it works.

And if you do it ALL in metric, then 1ml of bleach added to 10 liters of water should give you the same 1 : 10,000 concentration.

Then you measure the bucket the same as the pool and the result is the concentration in the bleach bottle.
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

Well a 5 gallon jug is out of the question since I don't own one. LOL. Nice to know there is a way and it makes complete sense!

I'll call in the AM to the company just for informational purposes. Just added 128 oz and needed to come up 2ppm. Actually have a second bottle of this stuff and since I know it can't be more than 6% at this price and isn't ultra...in goes some more! Test in the AM and see where I'm at before I head to work and send the hubby on a mission to the store. Thanks for helping this sleep deprived pool owner see the obvious since I'm dealing with a CYA of 140 I have tons of wiggle room on the upper end!
    35,000 gallon in-ground, vinyl with a sand filter

WOW!!! I'm just trying to keep the pool clean. Thanks Charlie....lots of digging..Dave

+ Reply to Thread