+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 24x52 intex pool, which pump??

Default 24x52 intex pool, which pump??

hello, new to the forum, new to pools im about to purchase a intex 24x52 pool, im kinda confused about what pump to get.. from what im understanding walmart's intex 24x52 doesnt come with a sand filtering system, says a filter pump.. so my question is should i buy a sand pump setup then a saltwater filtration system along with it or will the filter pump be fine with the saltwater filtration added to it? i really want the saltwater filtration as i dont want to deal with the chemical headaches all summer long thanks for any input!

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: 24x52 intex pool, which pump??

Please read the stickies in Pool Chemistry for Intex-type Pools (you may need to log out to follow link). They'll get you a good start.

That's a pretty big pool. The included filter pump may be adequate if you have relatively low bather load, your swimmers are clean, and you never get behind in the chemistry. Take a look at Cleaning your Cartridge Filter without Damaging It! and buy at least a couple of the high quality filters referenced there and the necessary cleaning supplies.

A Salt Water Chlorine Generator can be a convenient source for chlorine but will not alleviate the need for daily maintenance including measuring / adjusting chemistry. One note, many of the intex SWCGs come with a copper ionizer feature. I'd try to find one without this feature or disable it if posssible. Copper can stain pools, fingernails, light and colored hair green and can also encourage poor sanitary conditions in a pool. I can't emphasize enough how much easier pool care is with a Taylor K-2006 - it's the best money I've ever spent on my pool.

A caution: Pools must be built on level, undisturbed soil. That's measured level, not looks level. Building up usually does not work as the weight of the pool will compact the soil beneath it. If there's a high area in the pool site, it must be dug down. Ben posted this recently about using a water level:
    Quote Originally Posted by PoolDoc View Post
    Take a look at this -- over long distances, a "water level" is more accurate than an expensive transit level!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusDOh_5kTc
    A roto-tiller can be reallly useful when digging.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

thanks for the info.. yeah the yard being level is my biggest fear that i hope i get right! i mean im starting out on a pretty flat part of my yard as is so thats a plus but im sure its not 100% perfectly flat if measured with a level . i will be tackling that part all this week and next while waiting for the pool to arrive. i did decide on going with the intex 24x52 that comes with the sand & salt water system btw , not the filter pump. they specifically say not to install it on sand though in the instructions i read on there site so im kinda confused what to do about all that. should i just make sure the yard is definitely flat then install the tarp over the grass then the pool or should i do a few inches of sand on top of the tarp or vice versa? with the amount of water the pool holds ( 12k + gls ) i doubt i will be planning on draining it at the end of the season but all depends i guess. read alot of reviews of people keeping them up for 3-5 yrs yr round so.. i will def be doing alot of searching and reading on the site for sure.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

The sand filter won't be a cure-all but it should work OK.
    Did you look at the water level?
    Dig down to level everywhere that's high. Sand is not stable and will wash away. You could try some foam under the pool for cushioning and to protest the liner from rocks.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

+ Reply to Thread