+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vanishing Chlorine

mroll is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mroll 0

Default Vanishing Chlorine

Hi there.. I am back! Opened my little pool last weekend and the water was crystal clear but low. We fill it up, got the filter running, threw in a gallon of bleach and put on the solar cover. I was out of the R-0870 powder so tested PH 7.4, TA 100 and CYA 40..All week threw in 1-2 cups bleach per day as I awaited delivery of the reagent. Well today it came and YIPES my FC .5 and cc .5 , PH still 7.4 and TA down to 80. I quickly put in 3 ounces of dichlor. Did I do the right thing? What next??
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

Default Re: Vanishing Chlorine

As a stopgap should you run out of R-0870 or R-0871 again, a cheap OTO kit will keep you going.

The dichlor will bring your CYA up just a little, and give you a slight rise in your FC. You probably need to add bleach as well, testing just before, and again 30 min after. I doubt that 3 oz of dichlor would have been enough. Not a problem if you overshoot just a bit on the FC. If you have the time, it might be a good idea to brush the pool as well.
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

I would up your dose of bleach. According to the best guess chart you need to maintain the chlorine at 3-6ppm.

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best...ine-chart.html
    18' round 7.5K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; Hayward C900 cartridge filter; Hayward Power Flo Matrix 3/4HP pump; hrs; HTH 6-way test kit
    ; community; PF:16

mroll is offline Subscriber Thread Analyst mroll 0

Retested it was 2.5.. Added 2 more cups of bleach.. I should be fine now. According to Best Guess Chart the dichlor I added wouldn't hurt my CYA levels much. Thanks
    15' round 5.7K gal AG vinyl pool; Bleach; Haywood DE filter; Haywood 1 1/4 pump; 4-12 hrs; Taylor K-2006 Tester; utility water; summer: solar; winter: Not bought yet; ; PF:21??

+ Reply to Thread