+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tiny micro bubbles coming from returns

Default Tiny micro bubbles coming from returns

Since we started using our pool this season, I have noticed tiny little bubbles coming from the returns. I'm not sure if we have an air leak somewhere in a suction line or if this might be caused by the swcg. I've also noticed that the basket on the pump is not full and the pump wants to re-prime itself sometimes. This makes me think that there's air coming in somewhere. Any ideas? I am going to test the water tomorrow, so I don't have any figures on levels right now.

Edit: I have a 4 speed pump, which is normally running on the #2 setting. When it's running #3, the bubbles don't seem to be there and the basket on the pump is full.
    Last edited by krdowns; 05-31-2013 at 01:19 PM.
    11,700 gallon Leisure Elegance 27 fiberglass pool, Pentair Intelliflo pump, IntelliChlor IC20 ECG, UltraTemp heat pump, IntelliBrite 5g LED light, EasyTouch 4, DeckJet II, Automatic Pool Covers AutoGuard Top Track

Default Re: Tiny micro bubbles coming from returns

Clean and grease the o-ring on the pump basket.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Thanks for the help. I'll try that.
    11,700 gallon Leisure Elegance 27 fiberglass pool, Pentair Intelliflo pump, IntelliChlor IC20 ECG, UltraTemp heat pump, IntelliBrite 5g LED light, EasyTouch 4, DeckJet II, Automatic Pool Covers AutoGuard Top Track

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

So, after further investigation, it looks like the swcg is causing the bubbles. I think the salt content is a little high, but could that be the problem? Or is the output set too high?

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

SWCGs normally create bubbles. These are hydrogen bubbles that are part of the electrolysis process.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Bubbles coming from returns/pump basket not full

So I cleaned and lubed the o-ring on the pump basket, but I am still getting air coming from somewhere. The pump basket does not stay full of water after priming. If I set the pump to the #1 setting (4 speed Pentair pump), it stopped drawing water completely and I shut it off before it went into alarm mode. Any ideas on what to check next?
    Last edited by krdowns; 06-15-2013 at 10:00 AM.

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

So what are the four speed settings in terms of RPM?

Also, what size is your plumbing and how many suction pipes go all the way from the pool to the pump?

Can you post a picture of your equipment setup?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

I found the air leak!! There was a bad o-ring on the suction line from the main drain. Thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread