+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Light Brown stained vinyl liner everywhere but under wedding cake pool steps

Unhappy Light Brown stained vinyl liner everywhere but under wedding cake pool steps

Hello All,
    I have had my oval 15x24 above-ground pool for 5 years now and I noticed when I closed it in late October early November that it had this light brown stain all over the entire liner except for where the sunlight was blocked. I tried to brush it with the pool brush and tried to use a bleach-based chemical cleaner on the part above the water line but it is not coming off? I rubbed it with my fingers and all I got was a "squeaky-clean sound? I shocked the pool very heavily before I closed it with the closing kit hoping that when I re-opened it in the spring it would be fine...well no such LUCK!! The pool water is crystal clear BUT the stain is still everywhere except for the spot that was under the steps and a spot in the center of the pool where leaves had gathered from the circulation of water via the filter. I have heard that I should drain it and try to clean it that way because water additives would not work...I don't know what to do OR what to use to clean IT? HELP PLEASE!!

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Light Brown stained vinyl liner everywhere but under wedding cake pool steps

+ Buy a small bottle of "Iron-Out" at Walmart, etc..
    + Make a strong solution of Iron-Out -- 3 tablespoons in 1/2 cup warm water.
    + Dissolve as much as you can.
    + Saturate an old washcloth in the solution.
    + Then, while wearing plastic gloves, place the washcloth directly on a brown spot, and hold it there for a minute, pressing firmly.

If the brown is gone, or lightened, when you remove the cloth -- it's iron staining. Otherwise, I don't know what it might be.

Cool Re: Light Brown stained vinyl liner everywhere but under wedding cake pool steps

Thank you...I will try soon, maybe later today. So, I noticed that you did not mention brown algae or something along those lines...is that due to the water being clear, the fact it cannot be brushed off of the liner with just a brush or my hand or is there another reason for the fact that it is probably NOT related to an algae problem?
    Thanks again.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Light Brown stained vinyl liner everywhere but under wedding cake pool steps

Right. As far as I know, you can always *feel* algae on a liner pool, by touching the liner. And brown algae (not that common), can be at least partially brushed away.

+ Reply to Thread