+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best source of Calcium?

lstinthot is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst lstinthot 0

Default Best source of Calcium?

My CH is testing around 40- 50ppm. What is the best source to buy Calcium Chloride? Looks like I need about 60lbs to get is up to the mid 200's. I am guessing I need to buy some muriatic acid to be able to add this much CH.
    ~36,000g IG gunite -- 2Hp Pentair UltraFlow filter pump - replaced with 2 speed 1 1/2 HP ultraquite pump -- 3/4 HP vacuum booster pump -- DE filter --K-2006 test kit

Default Re: Best source of Calcium?

Muriatic acid does not add calcium. Not sure of a good source outside of calcium increaser from the pool store. I'm sure others will chime in shortly. What do you chlorinate with? Cal-hypo will add calcium, but you don't want to use it to increase CH (at least not all at once).

Tad

I am thinking the calcium Cl` will make the pool pH rise. I will have to off set the rise in pH with the acid. I clorinate with liquid shock typically. Right now my stablizer levels are low, so I have been using the Cl` tabs to clorinate. These will also lower the pH if I get the calcium in soon.
    ~36,000g IG gunite -- 2Hp Pentair UltraFlow filter pump - replaced with 2 speed 1 1/2 HP ultraquite pump -- 3/4 HP vacuum booster pump -- DE filter --K-2006 test kit

50 lbs. - $60 - shipping may kill any savings though!

http://www.chemistrystore.com/cart.c...99&child=49906
    IG 32' x 16', vinyl 19,500 l, Sand filter, Hawyard Low NOx 250,000 btu heater
    Heating? Great info on why a solar cover saves $$$?
    http://energy.gov/energysaver/articl...ng-pool-covers

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

You can get calcium chloride for a lower price than the pool store by buying either Peladow or Dowflake that are both used as ice salt for melting ice during the winter. You should be able to get it at big box stores (Walmart, Home Depot, etc.), but it might be seasonal.
    15.5'x32' rectangle 16K gal IG concrete pool; 12.5% chlorinating liquid by hand; Jandy CL340 cartridge filter; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; 8hrs; Taylor K-2006 and TFTestkits TF-100; utility water; summer: automatic; winter: automatic; ; PF:7.5

I was thinking the ice melt route. Home depot here has some Ice melt left over, however the ingredients state it has magnesium chloride in it as well. Should I stay away from that brand?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/50-lb-Ice...7#.UbjmH-uA2Xs

That is my question as well. Amazon has some that are in the $50 range for 50# but are pellets. I think that is free shipping. My calcium is 130 ppm so need a bunch. Would love to hear back. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread