+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best time to run the pumps?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I'm mildly surprised no one has suggested running more than once a day. If you feel your system needs to run 6 hours each day, why not split that into three 2-hour sessions.

That's what has always made sense to me.

Dave S.
    I didin my first post! I run my pool for 5 hours starting late morning, then run my spa, then my pool again for 3 hours in the evening!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    I didin my first post! I run my pool for 5 hours starting late morning, then run my spa, then my pool again for 3 hours in the evening!
    I always have two sets of on/off stops on my timer. I run the pool during the day, because I want my solar panels to work--I run the pump low speed.

And I run it again at night, so if I've added post-sunlight chlorine it will be circulated.
    Carl

Default Re: Best time to run the pumps?

After reading this post, I had to ask this question....Our new pool was finished in Feb. and we are running the pump 24/7. Our SWG only runs when our pump runs. My husband said all the pools he has been around (including the one he grew up in) ran the pump all the time. I asked our pool guy and he said yeah, most run 24/7. Any thoughts on this??? Oh, we got our first elec. bill since installing pool and not that much more.
    THANKS.

Running the pump 24/7 is really not necessary and a waste of energy. All you really want to do is turn the water over twice each day, and you will be fine. I'm running mine 5 hrs a day right now, with no problems. I'm anticipating moving that up as the water continues to warm.

85 degrees in the pool yesterday.

Michael

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I live in Louisiana, and it's already mid-90's here during the day. I run my pump during the daytime for now while the water temp is still in the low 80's, but when it gets to high 80's-90's, I run my pump at night--it seems to help cool the water.

Janet

I finally realized that THE most effective way to heat my pool is to circulate the water when the sun is shining on it. That's also when the wind blows. The pool stays clean all night, but during the afternoon, stuff is constantly blowing into the pool and it's better to collect it immediately than let it sit around and start decomposing. So unless the grid is struggling to provide enough power during peak hours, I circulate mid-day.
    -marilang
    Homeowner in California with pool+spa (inground, gunite, 10kgal, cartridge filter, chlorine, Nature2, trichlor feeder, gas heat, auto sweep) since 2001.

VOLDADDY is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher VOLDADDY 1 star

I run mine 24/7 and my light bill is more in the summer than the winter. My pool guy said it is best to run it all the time. Of course, he told me Baquacil was best for me if I wanted to work on my pool less and enjoy it more... If you have to turn your water over 2x a day, how do you determine how many hours it takes to turn it over? I will save a lot of $$$ this year by using bleach over Baquacil, and I would love to save on my light bill.

+ Reply to Thread