+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Algae on the Solar Cover

Default Algae on the Solar Cover

We had a warm weekend two weeks ago so we opened the pool and have the water adjusted near perfectly! We bought a solar cover for the first time (pool filled last year at end of July so there was no need for it last season) and have had it on the pool for maybe 10 days. It hasn't been warm enough to swim yet so it's been on this whole time. I am now noticing fluffy yellowish algae growing in the water on top of the cover. How do I clean it up without it falling into the pool water and is there a way to prevent this in the future?

Thanks!
    Lee
    Just moved in so I'm not exactly sure on manufacturers or specs; best guess: 24' x 48" AGP, sand filter with 3/4HP pump, Taylor K-2006

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Algae on the Solar Cover

Some of it seems to be floating in the water (on the cover); do I just skim it off the best I can before taking the cover off the pool?
    Just moved in so I'm not exactly sure on manufacturers or specs; best guess: 24' x 48" AGP, sand filter with 3/4HP pump, Taylor K-2006

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

I assume the spray mixture is to be used once the cover is OFF the pool?

No. Polyquat is 100% pool compatible -- use it with the over on, OR off.

Got the polyquat from LPS. They had the same recommendation as you for the algae on the cover. They also suggested using 3-6oz after every rain. It has rained here off and on for over a week. What is your recommendation concerning this? I put 4 oz in yesterday (first treatment of the season). Had used only bleach since opening three weeks ago.

I don't think it's an exact science; try either my recommendations or theirs -- if it works, it works. If it doesn't, increase the dose or the frequency.

+ Reply to Thread