+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about New Liner & Filling Pool

Default Question about New Liner & Filling Pool

Good afternoon!

My husband and I just installed a used pool that we purchased- it's a 26' round above ground. We purchased and installed a new liner as well. My husband (and my father-in-law) want to wait until we return from our family vacation (around June 23) before "filling" the pool with water. My concern is that keeping the liner "dry" for the next 3 weeks may cause damage when we fill it (like dry rot, etc). We have about 2 inches of water (from our well) in the bottom of the pool right now, but need to have a water delivery service bring us water to fill the rest of the pool (so that we don't blow out our pump). My husband is worried that the pool will be green when we get home. I'm worried that the dry pool will be damaged. Is there a right or wrong answer? Which is better- to fill it and deal with the water chemistry when we get home, or leave it dry until we get back?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Question about New Liner & Filling Pool

I don't have enough experience with that, to be able to give a certain answer.

I can tell you a pool ignored for 3 weeks in summer will almost always be a mess after. But, personally, I'd feel a lot safer with a few more inches of water in it. AG pool walls are NOT designed to resist pressure from the outside in -- water pressure does that. So if you have a thunderstorm with high winds, it would be awfully easy to blow the pool walls of an empty pool inwards.

Thank you! We will actually only be gone for one week (June 14-22) but will have a house-sitter while we're away. So maybe we should just put a few more inches in it before we leave? And finish filling when we get back?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Personally, I would fill it and add 3 gallons of 6% concentrate bleach and then ask someone to dump in half a gallon of bleach every day you are gone. It's not fool proof but it should keep you from getting a serious mess if you then start it filtering after a week. That way you won't risk collapse, merely water that needs to be cleaned up.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread