Closed Thread

Thread: How do I tell if I have a leak?

Default How do I tell if I have a leak?

I have 23k in ground vinly pool. Recently within the past week I have noticed
    the water level droping faster than what I remember from last year. This is only my second year of owning this pool so I don't have a lot of experience to draw from. However, if has not rained in over a week and the temp's are in the low 90's every day here in B'ham AL. So maybe its just the heat but last evening I filled the water level up to halfway of the skimmer and this morning it looked as though it had dropped another inch overnight? Am I crazy or could this be a leak? If so how would I find it I already check all the plumbing above ground and it looks good.

Default Re: How do I tell if I have a leak?

I heard of a trick where you place a 5 gallon bucket on the step or love seat and fill it to the same level as the pool. Let it sit a day or so and see if the pool level has dropped more than the bucket level. If the pool level is lower, look for a leak. If the levels remain the same , blame evaporation.

Ok, now I am pretty sure I have some sort of leak. The water level is dropping about 2 inches overnight. My question is now how do I find it? I've checked all the plumbing above ground and there doesn't seem to be any obvious holes in the liner. I'm going to try leaving the pump off overnight tonight to see if that makes a difference. I'm also gonna call the pool guy to come and try to pressure test the lines to see if he can find anything. Any idea on how much that cost?

Thanks,
    Russ

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

As a start, check this thread, post #6

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ighlight=ajs-1

Always interested in leak issues so please follow up on your problem and don't hesitate to ask more questions. Leaks are a real PITA.
    Al

After testing with the bucket technique I can confirm that I definitley have something besides evaporation going on. I tried taking a little Phenol Red and testing around the skimmer and the return jets as well as the stairs and found nothing. It is possible the leak is around the main drain but I haven't had a chance to test yet. Up until last fall this was a bauqa pool. I fear that the switch to chlorine may have exposed or created a pin leak somewhere in the liner in which case I may never be able to find it. I don't have an endless supply of Phenol Red and time to go around every inch of the pool. Plus even with the dye the leak maybe small enough that I couldn't detect it. The cost of water in my area is very expensive so running the hose for an hour or two a day to replace what I have lost is not an option. The liner itself appears to be in good shape since it has been on Baqua up until last year so I hate to think I would have to replace it plus the cost of refilling the pool would be unbearable. I have not heard back from my pool guy but I'm not real sure what else I can do.

Keep calling his office .. !

Finally talked to the pool guy he said the since the water loss is about the same with the pump on or off then I most likely have a leak in the liner somewhere. Suggested getting some goggles and going for a swim to see if I could find it along the bottom of the walls and floor and he would try to get there when he could. I guess I'm going to the store to buy goggles and some red beets and cook up a bunch of dye. It sounds like locating a leak is going to be my problem repairing the leak once it is found will be the pool guy's problem.

I finally found the leak However, as luck would have it is at the deep end of the pool. Its about a quarter inch tear/hole in the liner.

My new question is this, I went to Leslies and got the Hydro Pool patch kit. However putting this thing on in 8 feet of water is impossible. On my 3rd try I got a halfway decent patch on however the edges were still not glued down as well as I would like but considering my first two attempts were complete failures I decided to leave it on and see if it works. I beleive the portion of the patch that covers the hole should adhere well enough but the edges of the patch will be sticking up just a bit. Is my Polaris going to pull this patch off when it runs over it? After allowing 24 hrs to bond should I place a second larger patch over the orginal patch for double protection although I really hate to do that and run the risk of pulling the first patch off.

If anyone has any advice or experinece with putting these patches on in deep water I would love to hear it
    Last edited by rtpatter; 06-01-2006 at 11:03 PM.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I see you just posted and I do. Let me look around and find the thread with the pics etc and I'll give you the info. Think they're here somewhere but if not I'll post new stuff. Had a deep end leak Spring 2005. Three small slits in a 2" diameter circle. In the meantime go to a poolstore and get a can of Boxer Adhesive #100. Slow acting, won't curl a patch. I will be back.
    Al

Found it. Check this thread and post #9.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=101
    Last edited by Poconos; 06-01-2006 at 09:32 PM.

That's a pretty impressive rig you came up with. I won't know until morning if the patch I layed is working or not. Luckily the water is plenty warm to get in but I had to do just what you said to get it down, that is using less adhesive to keep from curling the patch but I'm pretty sure I got enough to cover the crack. My concern is the edges are not completly down as far as I would like and I'm afraid the polaris over time will pull it out. How strong are those adhesives once the set? I thinking of puting a small 2X2 marble tile I have left over from a kitchen remodel over the patch to keep the polaris from wearing on the patch. I know it will look funny and be somewhat irritating to have a peice of tile sitting on the bottom but otherwise I don't think the patch will hold with the polaris hitting it daily.

On a side note I just realized how I got the hole in the first place. I was running the garden hose in the pool with a high pressure nozzle on full blast. I guess the hose happened to swirl at just the right angle and the pool floor took a direct hit creating the hole. Thinking about it makes me sick but this is only my second year of pool ownership so I guess live and learn.

Morning Update: Pool still leaking so the tear I thought was the problem obviously wasn't. I hope the pool guy can come up with something.

Final Update: A second hole on the side was the culprit it took a scuba tank to find it but hopefully I'm ok now.
    Last edited by rtpatter; 06-06-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Closed Thread