+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backyard with lots of tree, what're my options?

Default Backyard with lots of tree, what're my options?

I live in Florida and have three 50+ year old trees which are beautiful but messy. Aside from a full screen enclosure, what are my options?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: Backyard with lots of tree, what're my options?

Options:

1. Spend a lot of time cleaning your pool.
    2. Hire someone to spend a lot of time cleaning your pool.
    3. Buy a magic wand that allows your to magically clean your pool.
    4. Maintain your own personal Florida wetland and swamp.
    5. Cut the trees down.

Non-option:
    1. Buy a pool-store magic cleaning gizmo. (Costs $$$; won't solve the problem.)

Having good cleaning tools will help; getting a high quality pool automatic (really, 'semi-automatic') vacuum will also help. Running your skimmer more hours will also help; using the low speed of a two speed pump will make doing so affordable.

That clears that up. Sounds like I'm better off getting it caged.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

As you probably know, screen enclosures are very common in Florida, due to bugs, debris, and thunderstorms (more debris). If one fits your budget, that may be your best choice.

(Additional note for other folk reading this: enclosures are NOT common outside of Florida. I think 'style' is one reason -- a screened pool doesn't look as decorative as an un-screened one. But there are other reasons. In the West, and West Coast, bugs and debris aren't the problem they are in Florida. Also, most regions north of Florida get snow, at least occasionally, and enclosures that can survive snow loads can cost a lot more.)

TomC is offline PF Supporter Thread Analyst TomC 0

I would vote for the 3rd option Ben provided. Please provide a link where said "wand" can be purchased. Looking forward to receiving this device. It may prove useful for things other than pool cleaning. Once I receive the item, I will give a full review, including non-pool applications.

Tom
    20'x42' L' 41K gal IG vinyl pool; trichlor feeder, bleach; Pentair 420 cartridge filter; Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp 2 speed pump; hrs; TF-100, CYA test; city;PF:2.9

I don't have a link, but I believe that if you send an owl to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry, they may be able to help. I think they are in Scotland, near Hogsmeade. Unfortunately, Google Maps doesn't show a location, though they do have several locations for replicas of the Hogsmeade Rail Station.

I also have pool surrounded by lots and lots of trees. Honestly, its not that big of a deal to spend fifteen minutes netting the leaves out. I find that an electrically powered vacuum helps a lot in getting the stuff off the bottom without having to break out the real vacuum that attaches to the skimmer. I think there are cheaper ones that just hook up to a garden hose too.

Racker, to some pool owners the idea of spending 15 minutes a day vacuuming leaves is torturous; other folks enjoy doing it.

I personally dislike "crap myrtles" and "flaking birches" (river birch) intensely. Actually, I like river birches quite well, as long as they are not near a pool I service. Crap myrtles, I don't like anywhere.

But there are a variety of trees that are just plain bad around pools:
    + river birches (zillions of flaky seeds, that stop up skimmers and end up everywhere)
    + hickory family nut trees (bad stains from nuts)
    + crap myrtles (they are dumping SOMETHING in the pool, 360 days of 365)
    + cottonwood (who wants to swim in fuzz?)

Some people hate pines, because the needles pass the skimmer and pump strainers, and can end up clogging the pump impeller.

. . . And so on.

+ Reply to Thread