+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replace motor or pump and motor?

Default Replace motor or pump and motor?

This is my 8th season with a 1 HP Sta-rite pump and motor. The bearings are starting to whine periodically (noise on occasion, but not often) so I figure they are on their way out and want to be proactive.

I'm assuming it's the motor and not the pump-- is this a good assumption?
    Can I service the bearings in the motor, such as lubricate or replace them myself?
    Is that a big job? Is it worth it? Or should I just replace motor?

If I have to replace the motor, do I just do that or do I buy a pump with the motor and replace the whole thing?

Pool stats-- 24K gal IG pool with 1.5" lines (I think, definitely not 2"), 200 lb sand filter, 1HP pump.

Thanks for the help?

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: Replace motor or pump and motor?

Yes it is probably the bearings which can be replaced too but it requires a bearing puller. It is usually worth it if you are capable of doing it. The bearings are fairly cheap as well as a puller. Youtube has lots of videos on how to do it.

Also, a pump wet end can last a very long time and a pump motor usually has only a couple things that can go wrong. The bearings, the start/run capacitor and the centrifugal switch are most common. The only thing that cannot easily be fixed is if the winding's burn out but that is pretty rare.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Hey thanks for info. So I'm a pretty good DYI person (engineering background) so I may contemplate replacing the bearings. But before I go the bearing replacement route I have a couple more questions.

Provided I have the right tools, is it faster to replace the bearings or is it faster just to swap out motors? My time is important also so this is why I ask.

Also, I'm sort of leaning toward replacing the motor because I'm thinking a newer motor may be quieter? Do you think this is true?

Are there models of 1HP motors that are known for being exceptionally quiet? Or are all single speed 220V motors about the same when it comes to noise?

Thanks again.

Well I watched a really nicely done Youtube video of a guy changing out the bearings. To be honest, it looks like a PITA especially if I have to run around and get other parts for the motor after I open it up and perhaps find something else worn.

So I think I will just buy a new motor, and install it on the old pump.

Interestingly the motor has been running quiet for nearly 24 hours, after I turned it off for a few seconds and turned it back on.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread