+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stains in Fiberglass pool

Hybrid View

Default Stains in Fiberglass pool

I get brown stains in my fiberglass pool all the time. I can effectively remove them with oxalic acid, but it always turns the water cloudy for about 3 days. Jack's Magic Blue Stuff also works, but it costs me a fortune at over $20 a bottle. I heard somewhere about using ascorbic acid. Where can I get it in bulk? Is it expensive? Will it turn the water cloudy? Will it get the stain out?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Iron is your problem, Oxaylic acid is a known remedy for rust (oxidized iron) stains! It is toxic, however. Phosphonic acids are also effective and are the active ingredient in most of the "metal removers" I have seen. You can learn a lot about a product by going to the manufacturer's website and reading the MSDS for it. Ascorbic acid works (if I am not mistaken) by acting as a reducing agent just like Oxaylic and Phosphonic acids. These will also lower your pH and their effectiveness is dependant on pH so read your directions!

cajunfla is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst cajunfla 0

Have you tried the new Mr Clean Magic Eraser? My fiberglass pool gets a dirt ring around it. Not all the sod has been installed yet. Mr Clean works wonders.

msehome Guest

Default Heres a link for Ascorbic acid

http://www.msm-msm.com/store/agora.c...scorbic%20Acid

I have a 35,000 gal fiberglass pool and it stains all the time. Dont have a heater, and no iron pipes. It takes about a pound to a pound and a half of ascorbic acid to make the pool beautiful again. This is the cheapest I've found for it. $45.00 for 5 lbs. and if you buy over $100.00 at a time its free shipping. Heres a pic of my fiberglass pool.

Good Luck
    Last edited by PoolDoc; 03-12-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: pic

Thanks, msehome, I'll give it a try. Does it turn your water cloudy when you add it?

msehome Guest

Default No Cloudy Water

Not at all, its amazing to watch the stain dissappear right before your eyes. And the water stays clear.

Good Luck

+ Reply to Thread