+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Stains in Fiberglass pool

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: Stains in Fiberglass pool

Here are some observations that I have noticed over the years with stains. Make sure you add enough sequestering agent. It won't hurt anything if you put more in than you need, but it will leave some metals free to stain if you don't. Keep your ph on the low side - I like to keep mine between 7.2 - 7.4, no higher. Keep you chlorine consistant - don't let it drop down to where you will have to shock. High chlorine levels will let any metals that are free in your pool to precipitate out and land on the pool. When you start to see the stain forming, add more sequestering agent and bring your ph back down to 7.0 - 7.2., and keep the filter running 24/7. It seems that the stain will lift with the sequestering agent and low ph if it hasn't become too embedded. If the stain is localized, put a little ascorbic acid in a stocking and rub it on the stain - this way you don't have to do the whole treatment.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

cajunfla is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst cajunfla 0

Default Re: Stains in Fiberglass pool

Leslie's Stain Remover (ascorbic acid) and Metal Free worked great !! Stain disappeared in minutes.

Jeff

Smile Re: Stains in Fiberglass pool - a way to save $$$

I used to use leslies all the time and it does work well but gets expensive, as I have to remove stain weekly. Every time I raise the chlorine it comes back.

I used to do this and it took about 3 days to do it (leslie's method)
    1) Lower the chlorine (about $10 for the bottle)
    2) Use metal free (I think $20)
    3) run for a couple days
    4) Back flush
    5) Destain using Leslies Ascorbix acid ($40 for 2 pounds)
    6) Raise the chlorine

But I have found that the ascorbic acid is a contact agent, and a cheaper way to do this is
    1) Order ascorbic acid from MSM MSM (Half the price 12.50 a pound as opposed to leslies $20 for a pound)
    http://www.msm-msm.com/faq.html
    2) Turn off the pump for 1 hour
    3) Drizzle very small amounts of the ascorbic acid around the edge of the pool (about .75 pounds max for a 15000 gal pool)
    4) Let ascorbic acid float down the sides of the pool
    5) Let the pool sit for 4 hours, then turn the pump on. The next morning its perfect.

I have had this problem for 3 years and at the beginning of every pool season I have spent countless dollars lowering the chlorine, using metal free, and using ascorbic acid only to have it come back even when the tests at the pool store say there is no metal in my pool.

The method above costs me about $10.00 a week

+ Reply to Thread