+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How/When to use chlorine tablets?

Hybrid View

Default How/When to use chlorine tablets?

Hi,

After I follow the 7 day set up plan and my pool is filled, can I use a floating chlorine dispenser instead of following the maintenance plan or is this not recommended? If I can use one, how do I get started using one?

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Default Re: How/When to use chlorine tablets?

The Intex easy plan is based on a continued progression of known doses. If you use tabs in a floater, you've abandoned that.

Tabs can -- of course -- be used in Intex pools successfully. But you won't be on the easy plan; you'll be on the "you have to work it out yourself plan". There's nothing wrong with that. Many people will, after a successful season or two, have learned enough to work out their OWN plan.

But, unfortunately, what many new pool owners do is end up frustrated with green pools.

What I did this year when filling/opening my small Intex pool was add a quart of bleach to the pool after I had about 4" of water in it. At half full, as I could now reach for testing, I added enough bleach to bring FC level to a reasonable level.

When full, I put a trichlor tab in the skimmer basket. This dissolved the tab fairly quickly. It took about a week of 1-2 tabs at a time in the skimmer (pump running 24/7) to bring CYA up to 30-40, without FC going too high.

I've never seen the floaters work well as far as dissolving the tabs, those seem to be mainly for maintaining FC. Do be careful about using the floater during the season, as tabs will add CYA.

Side note to others who might remember my having built a wood fired heater last year: I filled my pool through the heater, and had almost swimmable temperature water when the pool finished filling.
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Something that many people don't understand about those tabs is that they contain CYA. Although all outdoor pools need some CYA, continuous use of the tabs over a long period of time cause CYA levels to get too high. Once it is high, then you have to run higher than normal chlorine levels or you end up with algae problems. Most people don't understand the connection between CYA and chlorine. Take a look at the Best Guess Chlorine Chart in my signature below for more about that.

+ Reply to Thread