FC - 1.5
    CC - 0
    TC - 1.5
    PH - 7.5
    ALK - 70
    CAL - 290
    CYA - 39

Salt - 6000

I am familuar with my CL and PH leveles. I realize I am a little low on my ALK. I recently added some acide to bring down the PH so perhaps my ALK level was lowered with that. It may rise on its own. How about my CAL and CYA? I don't know what they should be at.

I did the sale test twice and seem to end up with a very incorrect number. I should be around 2700 and my pool store says that I am near that. Ben's test is giving me that higher number. Could I be doing the test wrong?

I have a 14000 Gal Gunite/Plaster pool.

Thanks!

PatL34 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver PatL34 2 stars PatL34 2 stars

Default Re: 1st Time Test Results

You are probably doubling Ben's test figure for salt when you should be dividing by 2 to agree with pool store figure.

The ALK could use a boost up to 100 ppm with baking soda. Try a couple of lbs first. The CAL is within the ballpark for a plaster pool. The CYA could come up slightly to between 40 - 60 ppm, or whatever the SWC manual says.

Hope this helps.

Pat

I am still getting a high # for my salt test. I am either doing something wrong or my kit is faulty. I have sent two messages to Ben with NO reply. I have still not received my usermanual in the mail as the information indicated.

Quote Originally Posted by PatL34
    You are probably doubling Ben's test figure for salt when you should be dividing by 2 to agree with pool store figure.

The ALK could use a boost up to 100 ppm with baking soda. Try a couple of lbs first. The CAL is within the ballpark for a plaster pool. The CYA could come up slightly to between 40 - 60 ppm, or whatever the SWC manual says.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Ok. I added two pounds of Baking Soda yesterday. I checked my TA and PH today. My TA went out to 80 but my PH seemed pretty high. I added some Muratic acid to help lower the PH. I then added two more pounds of Baking Soda.

My question is am I on the right track? From what I read I think I am doing everything right. Let me know if I should take a different approach. I am trying for a TA of 100.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

There is a problem with the drop size on some of the salt tests. Ben is working on the solotion now.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Be aware that pH and T/A are connected. As you raise pH, T/A rises. As pH falls T/A falls. Measure T/A at the pH level you desire--that's where it matters. Plus, I think adding 2more lbs of baking soda should get you to 90 or 100ppm, which is a FINE T/A.
    Carl

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by vanduse1
    Salt - 6000

I did the sale test twice and seem to end up with a very incorrect number. I should be around 2700 and my pool store says that I am near that. Ben's test is giving me that higher number. Could I be doing the test wrong?
    Nope, I did the wrong thing with the kit . . . and have been driven to distraction trying to figure out what that 'wrong thing' was!

The white bottles I used for the SALT#2 and the CHL#1 are (it turns out) very prone to acquiring a static charge* . . . and this charge causes the dropper to release smaller than expected drops, which in turn causes the high reading errors. For some reason, the silver nitrate (SALT #2) is affected more than the FAS (CHL#2).

Wiping the tips with a clean damp tissue before testing will often remove the charge temporarily. If you'll wipe the bottles with a paper towel dampened in hair conditioner, and then let them dry . . . and then wipe the tips with clean damp tissues before each use, you should get good results.

Ben

*I guess I've been lucky before. I've seen cautions about static charges in the instructions for various test kits over the years, but have never encountered knowingly encountered the problem before. (Maybe I had bad readings, but just didn't notice?)

So, I have tried your method of wiping each tip before using and my salt test is much better but it is still running high. It is saying my salt level is at 3600. It should read around 2700 or 3000 at the most. That is what my calculations indicate from my salt addition as well it matches what the pool store says. Any thoughts?

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

I am having the same problem after applying hair conditioner to the bottle as an anti static and wiping the tips....the salt test is usually about 700ppm above what I know the salt level to be from a goldline salt meter calibrated with a 3200ppm standard from goldline and also from the aquacheck salt test strips that consistaly test within 150 ppm of the goldline meter. Ben is still working on fixing the problem and I believe he is getting close from the last PM I got from him on the subject.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Great! Thanks for the update. I just hadn't heard anything from Ben recently. Hopefully he will find a solution soon!

+ Reply to Thread