+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spring Start Up Numbers Issue

Default Spring Start Up Numbers Issue

Hi all,

Last year had a late start to the season(End of August) but a successful one due to everyone's help on here using the BBB method after the initial start up using the recommended Chlorine with CYA of course. Went so well I never even had to add any Borax or Baking Soda as the ALK and PH were perfect. So was basically just Bleach. Kept the pool open very late and did not cover it over winter. Water stayed blue for most part with nothing other than leaves that got in there before the initial freeze that I missed cleaning, so start up seemed to be a breeze. Well needless to say I hooked my Pump and Filter up last week and added a little more of the Chlorine with CYA and then some bleach. The water was blue but now seems to be a tint of green. I had not tested the water until today and think the results show the problem.

FC - 18
    CC - 1
    PH - 7.0
    TA - 50
    CYA - 45
    Water Temp - 74

It is a 24ft Round Pool using a Sand Filter with a Taylor Test Kit just in case my set up is not showing up any longer. According to an app I have called "Pool Pal" it states that I need to add 3.7lbs of Borax for the PH and 7.9lbs Baking Soda for the TA. I do not have Muriatic Acid and not sure I even need it, however I remember reading anytime Borax is used the acid is needed?? Last year I raised PH successful by just pointing the return jet out of the water to aerate basically. I have been running pump only about 6 hours a day. I just bypassed timer and pointed the return jet as much as I could to break surface and will leave it running. Any help with the numbers above would be greatly appreciated. Would like to avoid the Acid if possible. I obviously added way to much Bleach but also do not remember having any CC at all last year. The FC will drop just from Sun and use until at a acceptable level I believe but is there anything I need to do about the CC?

Thank you,
    Lou
    24 round 15.3K gal AG vinyl pool; hand fed granual; XPUSA 16" 6 way Valve sand filter; XPUSA 1 HP Pump pump; Taylor 2006; well; summer: solar; winter: none; android phone; PF:7.8

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Spring Start Up Numbers Issue

I wouldn't call an FC of 18 way too much bleach. it's in the shock range for 45 CYA - where you want to be with a hint of green and measurable CC.

You probably read about using borax to add borates to the water. This requires Acid to reduce the pH as Borax raises it. Borax is a very good way to raise pH without affecting TA (much). Washing Soda may be a better choice for you as it raises pH and TA. Washing Soda - Arm and Hammer Yellow box in laundry aisle is not Balking Soda in the orange box. Baking Soda will raise TA with less increase in pH. Aerating the pool will have less effect on pH when the TA is low.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

+ Reply to Thread