+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filter Replacement

Default Filter Replacement

Hi all,

I hope the spring opening season is treating everyone well. Using the methods I've learned here I opened my pool to crystal clear water and was up and swimming in a day or two after opening. No cloudy water or any other issues this year. Yay and a hearty thanks to all the admins and moderators who make this place hum.

However-- this morning a found pinhole leak sending a small stream of water from the bottom of my sand filter. It's only going to get worse and I doubt I can patch it well enough to withstand the pressure so it seems it's time to replace my sand filter.

I didn't have time to measure this morning but its a big top mounted filter (< 30 inches ?). I am going to disassemble it and try and find a replacement vessel at my local (independent pool) store but in the end I think I'll have to replace the entire assembly. The filter is original to the pool and must be more than 15 years old. It's black molded plastic with no identifying marks or stickers.

I've looked on Craig's list and I've found a used Hayward S 210T for $100. I wanted to post to the forum today to gauge opinion about using this filter with my 1 HP Hayward pump. The original poster had his pump burn out last year and he replaced the assembly with a DE filter. His bad luck may be my good fortune.

My two main questions.

1. The filter is listed as an in ground filter but I'm almost sure I can fit it correctly for my AG pool. Is this a good assumption? **edit** I seem to remember Watermom uses a filter designed for IG Pools so ???

2. Is the S 210T big enough for my pool. I'm thinking it would be better to go with an equally large or even larger filter than step down to a smaller filter. Is that correct? and why? ( is it as simple as more sand means more filtration?)

Thanks in advance !!
    Last edited by robbym70; 05-22-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    15,000 Gallon AG -24' round -- Vinyl Liner -- 1 HP Hayward Power Flow LX -- Sand Filter -- PF=5.5

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: Filter Replacement

I'd agree that larger is better. The 210 is a 21" diameter filter, significantly less than 30". The Hayward website says it's good for 44 Gallon/Minute or 21K in 8 hours. That's probably overly optimistic, Larger filter = larger filter surface = slower velocity through the surface = better filtration. It'll probably work but you may need longer run times and might end up with lower water quality. Just my two cents.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

53 inches circumference (all the way around) is about 17 inches diameter - not too big. Did you mean 53 inches diameter? Very big.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

**I've consolidated some posts so this thread may look different to you if you've read it previously**

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    53 inches circumference (all the way around) is about 17 inches diameter - not too big. Did you mean 53 inches diameter? Very big.
    you are right...I mixed up diameter and circumference. Its been a long time since high school geometry!..

I've Identified the manufacturer. The filter and multiport are made by Columbia Pool Products. I'm hoping to replace just the tank. Any input on this manufacturer. I don't see many places online to buy their products. The multiport says it is rated for up to 75 gpm so it looks like I've got the right pump as my 1HP Hayward Power Flow LX is rated for just that. However it looks like the 210T filter I found on craigs list is rated for only 44 gpm per the specs page.

Is my assumption about matching the gpm rating on the filter to the gpm rating of the pump correct. Surely the length of the hose run and the diameter of the hose themselves have an impact on the engineering. Filter and pump are right next to eachother but the hoses themselves are about five feet long and I think 1 1/2 in diameter.

I'll consult pool store tomorrow (independent-not NAMCO) and see what they say but like I said I'd rather here it from someone here than there.

I was looking at the Pentair SD 80, which is rated for 75gpm. found it here

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...g=somkait35-20

list price is about $870 but price from vendor is marked down to about $345. Seems too good to be true.

I've seen some other posts on this forum recommending the the Sand dollar Pentair line. Any comments from owners of this filter would be most welcome.

The Pentair SD80 seems to be the biggest of that line and takes up to 350 pounds of sand and is listed at 78 inches high. That sounds like overkill but am I over thinking it?. The numbers alone suggest the 201t filter rated for 44 gpm isn't the right match for the Hayward 1hp superflo lx pump which is rated for 75 gpm. Is that a correct assumption?
    15,000 Gallon AG -24' round -- Vinyl Liner -- 1 HP Hayward Power Flow LX -- Sand Filter -- PF=5.5

+ Reply to Thread