+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Homeowner, a few questions

Default New Homeowner, a few questions

I bought my first house in September. The previous owners closed the pool prior to selling. I opening it last week and am struggling to learn everything. I've tried asking the people at the pool store, but they just tell me to buy this and that and don't really help. I'm hoping I can find answers here. Any help would be very welcomed.

Q1. All my chemicals are within the proper range except free chlorine which is stuck at zero. The water is perefctly clear and blue. The testing kit said it should be between 1-3ppm. My total chlorine is is at 3ppm. My pool sits in direct sunlight, so I know that kills the chlorine faster, but how do I get my free chroline up and keep it there?

Q2. I have a DE filter. Over the first few days the pressure gauge would start at 10 and go up to 20 within an hour or two. Each time i "bumped" it and it returned down a little (maybe restarting at 11 instead of 10). I've drained the filter twice since then each time adding more DE. I assume for a new opening it was just doing alot of cleaning. Now the gauge starts at 10, but still slowly goes up. Example it went from 10 to 15 over the course of about 4 days. Is this normal, is the filter still doing alot of cleaning or is there a problem?

Q3. The vacuum that came with the pool is the type you attach to the end of the pole on the "skimmer" I think its called. You attach a hose then attach the other end to a piece of plastic the covers the skimmer on the pool. I've connected it all and had the hose filled with water, but the suction is very weak and isn't really pulling the dirt up. Am I missing something or do I need to buy something better?

Again I thank you for any help!

Default Re: New Homeowner, a few questions

You need to get a good test kit and test your CYA (Stabilizer) level. The stabilizer is what keeps the chlorine "stable" and the sun may be depleting it faster than you can add it if there is no/little stablizer in pool water. See the "best guess chlorine chart". http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/best...ine-chart.html Once you have appropriate stabliizer, you don't have to worry about chlorine level jumping around.

I don't have a DE filter so can't answer you there. But how is the flow coming out of the return jet? I know with sand and cartridge if the flow is weak and pressure raises it is time to backwash or clean filter media. Have you done that?

About the vacuum, it would depend on how the flow is on your filter. If your filter is dirty or not working properly then vacuum is not going to be effective. You don't necessarily "need" something better you just need to get the filter situation figured out and it will work just fine just might be a little tedious for some folks Hope this helps.
    18' round 7.5K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; Hayward C900 cartridge filter; Hayward Power Flo Matrix 3/4HP pump; hrs; HTH 6-way test kit
    ; community; PF:16

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Default Re: New Homeowner, a few questions

It'd be helpful to know more about the pool.
    Remember to replace DE when you backflush a DE filter.
    sunlove's advice is solid - about the vacuum, the testkit and the CYA. A Taylor K-2006 will be your best pool spend. Find 'em here: How to Get the Right Testkits for your Pool. If you buy through the links, the PoolForum get some cash to keep the lights on.
    I think you may have the beginnings of an algae boom - the presence of CC, the FC consumption and the fact the DE filter is clogging quickly are indicators.We'll have a better picture after you can give us chemistry results from your K-2006.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

+ Reply to Thread