Hello,

Pump 1 1/2HP
Filter: Pentair Tagelus TA60D (Not sure how old the sand is. Would guess around 4yrs)
Pool 10 -12,000 gallons

My back yard recently flooded and filled my pool with dirt. I was able to filter the dirt out, but the water was still a greenish brown from silt. I tried the trick of adding DE to the filter. I used roughly 2 1/2 cups (I think this was too much trying to get the 1psi rise). It helped clear up the pool, but now I'm having issues with the DE itself. While running the pump and filter, I can see see small amounts of DE returning to the pool from the inlets. At night I can see a lot of small particles (DE) floating in the water in the pool light. If I run the pump/filter for an extended period of time a large amount of DE will be returned to the pool all at once. This will cause it to cloud up temporarily then a large amount will float to the top of the water. (This is just like what some describe when the first add the DE to the pool)

This past Saturday, I tried vacuuming the bottom of the pool to waste (after letting it sit overnight) and backwashing the filter several times. I checked the filter to make sure the sand was at the proper level. I had to add about 35lbs to get it to the level specified in the manual.

From what I read backwashing would remove the DE. The last time I backwashed, flushed, then went back to filter, thats when the large amount of DE returned to the pool. It seems like the DE is not being removed during the backwash.

Any ideas on how to get this stuff out?? I'm about to drain/refill the pool and change the sand as a last resort.