+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: huge clorine demand

sabres07 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sabres07 0

Default Re: huge clorine demand

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Is it at all possible that you're testing CC and FC out of order? I'm sorry for asking, but I've been puzzling over this issue. The FAS-DPD test method is:
    Measure pool water sample(I'm presuming 10ml)
    Add a scoop or two of R-0870 DPD powder and swirl until solution turns pink.
    Add the R-0871 titrating solution counting each drop and mixing.
    Multiply drop count by 0.5ppm to get FC reading.
    Add 5 drops of the R-0003 DPD Reagent #3.
    If the solution turns pink again:
    Add R-0871 solution counting each drop and mixing.
    Multiply drop count by 0.5ppm to get CC reading.

I hope you're not offended, this is a real headscratcher.
    Ha...not offended at all. In fact my son asked me the same thing. I am testing properly I believe.

I just tested again at 10 AM. My FC is now down to 28-29 ppm (last nite at 11 PM it was 43!). I didnt believe those results so I tested it a second time and got the same number. Also, I did get a slight reading on cc this time, too, of 0.5<. Also, the water is crystal clear.

I am starting to think that draining the pool down by half and re-filling might be a cheaper way to go.

Any thoughts??
    16'x32' oval 15K gal IG vinyl pool; liquid chlorine; Hayward cartridge filter; Hayward 3/4 hp pump; 3/5/2012hrs; Taylor 2006c; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl / water bags; ; PF:8

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

Maybe try a Chlorine Demand Bucket Test to help figure out what's going to help. I'd start tonight and do an overnight test of just plain pool water to see if it's something in the water or something else causing such high chlorine consumption. After tomorrow morning, start dosing the bucket to see what it will take to get chlorine to hold - if you can at all. Then figure out if the chlorine or the water will be cheaper. Also maybe also do a bucket test with half pool water and half fill water to see if that's going to help.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

sabres07 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sabres07 0

UPDATE: Last nite was the first nite my FC held from sundown to sunrise. I pulled my light niche and found a whole lot of crud back there. Very disgusting. So I scrubbed it all out and left the light out for two days so that shocked pool water could circulate in there. Maybe that was the problem with my huge chlorine losses. To re-cap, I had my pool at shock level (above 20 ppm) for at least 12-13 days now. It took that long to defeat whatever was in my pool. Hopefully I am done now. I will keep it up above shoock for at least one more day to be sure.
    16'x32' oval 15K gal IG vinyl pool; liquid chlorine; Hayward cartridge filter; Hayward 3/4 hp pump; 3/5/2012hrs; Taylor 2006c; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl / water bags; ; PF:8

Quote Originally Posted by sabres07 View Post
    UPDATE: Last nite was the first nite my FC held from sundown to sunrise. I pulled my light niche and found a whole lot of crud back there. Very disgusting. So I scrubbed it all out and left the light out for two days so that shocked pool water could circulate in there. Maybe that was the problem with my huge chlorine losses. To re-cap, I had my pool at shock level (above 20 ppm) for at least 12-13 days now. It took that long to defeat whatever was in my pool. Hopefully I am done now. I will keep it up above shoock for at least one more day to be sure.
    Good to hear! Thanks for the update.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread