+ Reply to Thread

Thread: any tips to find a leak?

Default any tips to find a leak?

I have 24 ft x 48" above ground round pool. every winter we cover and in the spring, the pool has lost 1/3 to 1/2 water. But during the summer season, it does not seem to lose much.

anyway, this year I see a wet spot on the ground, so I assume I have a leak somewhere near there. I am also assuming I should find it near the current water line.

Assuming I find a tear in the vinyl, what is the recommended way to patch it? are there kits? that work under water or near water line?

thanks.
    24' round 12K gal AG vinyl pool; bleach; hayward sand filter; pump; 24hrs; taylog k2006; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl no water bags; ; PF:10

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: any tips to find a leak?

HI

It might not be as big an issue as you think

Over the winter, water on the cover and an ice plug in the pool can push out the amount of water you tend to loose.

A wet spot tends to indicate a leak. If you search the Forum, you'll find posts on how to use dye to 'pinpoint' the leak. If you want to use the water level to narrow down the level of the leak - you need to let the pool leak until it stops loosing water and then inspect around the water line. (this can be VERY bad for the liner, if the leak is deep!!)

Al (Poconos) has posted some very ingenious ways of making test dye and patching a hole on the bottom - without getting wet Try searching and see if you find helpful info - if you don't, I'll help link them for you and proffer my advice.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread