+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Should I shock my pool upon opening, even if there is no algae build up?

Default Should I shock my pool upon opening, even if there is no algae build up?

Hi. My pool is a 20x40 in-ground with 40,000 gallons of water and a vinyl liner. I'll be opening it on the weekend. When I closed it in October, it was absolutely crystal clear and spotless, and the other day I pulled up a corner on the (solid) cover, and it seems to still be completely clear.

Considering this, would it be a good idea to use shock to get the chlorine levels up asap, or would standard chlorine/bleach treatment be fine since there is no algae problem?

Thanks!

Default Re: Should I shock my pool upon opening, even if there is no algae build up?

Quote Originally Posted by Racker View Post
    Hi. My pool is a 20x40 in-ground with 40,000 gallons of water and a vinyl liner. I'll be opening it on the weekend. When I closed it in October, it was absolutely crystal clear and spotless, and the other day I pulled up a corner on the (solid) cover, and it seems to still be completely clear.

Considering this, would it be a good idea to use shock to get the chlorine levels up asap, or would standard chlorine/bleach treatment be fine since there is no algae problem?

Thanks!
    I always shock to kill/burn off other things that are in there besides algae. My pool is also clear when I open it, but it's obvious from the chlorine consumption after shocking that there are other contaminants that have to be cleared up.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

+ Reply to Thread