+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Booster pump won't start up...what to check?

Default Re: Booster pump won't start up...what to check?

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    No. The bell is cover of the motor on the pump side, an aluminum casting. There's a similar cover on the other end but all the wiring and connections are outside it and there's a cover plate over that.
    Ah, I didn't get that far into the pump/motor. I ran it for about 3hours yesterday and it did fine. Any suggestions to prevent it happening again next winter? Would it hurt the motor/pump to run it dry for a couple seconds, say maybe once a month over the winter, to prevent it from seizing again?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R View Post
    Rather than using WD-40 on the threads, there is a product call anti-seize lubricant that is available at your local auto parts store that is specifically made for dissimilar metals. Available in small packets, up to a large (4oz) bottle with brush. I use this on just about anything where different metals are in contact, and have never had a problem with removal of bolts/nuts that I've used it on.

If indeed you have galled the threads in the aluminum, there are kits available for thread renewal, look for heli-coil. Available in SAE (U.S. common) and metric, in most sizes from 8-24 up to 3/4-10. Be warned, the initial kit can be pricey, but coil refills are also available. The kit normally includes a special sized drill bit, a tap for the resized hole, an installation tool, and several heli-coils. The heli-coil insert puts new stainless steel threads into your assembly, so the use of anti-seize is recommended -- that darned dissimilar metals thing again -- galvanic action.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for that to use in the future. I noticed that the bolts holding the cover over the impeller (on the front) had some kind of thick lubricant on the threads. Perhaps this is the same stuff you're talking about.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look for that to use in the future. I noticed that the bolts holding the cover over the impeller (on the front) had some kind of thick lubricant on the threads. Perhaps this is the same stuff you're talking about.
    Probably is.

As for removal of the old screw, there are many ways of doing that.

Here is a link that you might find interesting about one of those off beat ways (hope it's ok to post a link to another forum!): http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showth...and-drills-out
    15' round 4.8K gal Intex AG pool; Intex 633 pump with twin canisters (2500 gph main filtering); Unicel 5315 filter cartridges; Intex 637 pump w/o filter (1000 gph heater circulation); 4hrs; K-2006; utility water; PF:24

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Where did you keep the pump, Jim? I usually keep the pump in the basement but last winter, I left it in the shed. I won't do that again. I suspect some moisture got in and froze. My basement's warm and very dry in the winter. That's where the new pump goes EVERY year.
    Carl

Where did you keep the pump, Jim? I usually keep the pump in the basement but last winter, I left it in the shed. I won't do that again. I suspect some moisture got in and froze. My basement's warm and very dry in the winter. That's where the new pump goes EVERY year.
    Both pumps stay outside (I don't remove them, just remove the drain plugs). Here on the SE coast of VA it doesn't get/stay below freezing very often. Seems like a big hassle to remove them.

For reference, they were installed in March 2004.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Everything in my system has quick releases and/or cutoff valves. At the end of the season I pop off the two on the pump, unscrew the banding screw, drain it and store it...now in the warm, dry basement again!
    Carl

Everything in my system has quick releases and/or cutoff valves. At the end of the season I pop off the two on the pump, unscrew the banding screw, drain it and store it...now in the warm, dry basement again!
    Interesting.

I'm having trouble picturing it though. I also don't know what a banding screw is. Can you post pics?

For power do you just plug them in? Mine are hard wired to the power source.

Thanks.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

I'm pretty sure CarlD meant bonding screw.
    My pump is powered through a twist-lock receptacle and plug on a circuit with GFCI installed just for it.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    I'm pretty sure CarlD meant bonding screw.
    My pump is powered through a twist-lock receptacle and plug on a circuit with GFCI installed just for it.
    Thanks. Is the plug outside exposed to the weather or inside?

So what's a bonding screw?

Looked up in Google and it seems to be a screw used used in a electrical panel for grounding? Not sure how this relates to being able to easily remove a pool pump for winter storage.

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

The receptacle/plug is in an outside box with an in-use cover - code in my town for all new outside recptacles.

The Bonding screw is how you attach the pool's bonding system to the pump.

Bonding is a little different than grounding. A pool's bond is intended to ensure that everything conductive in and around the pool is kept at the same electrical potential(voltage). The idea is that the bond wire carries any electrical current that mat be present in and around the pool instead of swimmers making the circuit. Grounding provides a path for electricity in the event that the electrical insulation in a piece of equipment should fail.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    The receptacle/plug is in an outside box with an in-use cover - code in my town for all new outside recptacles.

The Bonding screw is how you attach the pool's bonding system to the pump.

Bonding is a little different than grounding. A pool's bond is intended to ensure that everything conductive in and around the pool is kept at the same electrical potential(voltage). The idea is that the bond wire carries any electrical current that mat be present in and around the pool instead of swimmers making the circuit. Grounding provides a path for electricity in the event that the electrical insulation in a piece of equipment should fail.
    Ah, I think I got it. There's a bare wire connected to the outside of the pumps. I believe this same wire is also connected around the perimeter of the pool (I remember seeing it when the pool was being constructed). I figured this was a ground wire, I see now this is a bond wire; thanks for the clarification.

Also, I guess I need to check local codes to see what's allowed in reference to hooking up the pump to power.

I like CarlD's idea of being able to easily disconnect the pumps to store over the winter. I imagine this would increase their lifespan. It's just a matter of figuring out how and if I can do it.

+ Reply to Thread