+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slow leak...should I be concerned?

Default Slow leak...should I be concerned?

I took the solid cover off our pool today and noticed the water level had dropped about 3 inches since closing it 6 months ago. I'm pretty sure there's a leak somewhere since it hasn't dropped like this before. I have a couple ideas where the leak may be, but it would require I get in and it's too cold right now (I replaced a couple of rings/seals that seal the liner around the returns last season....perhaps this is where the leak is?). It's entirely possible that it may have been leaking during last season but I didn't notice it since its so slow.

Is this something I should be concerned about now? I'm thinking because its so slow ( .5" per month) I can just keep an eye on it for now.

What do our experts here think?
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Slow leak...should I be concerned?

I'm not the expert here but you may want to try the pool leak dye near each return and light. When it's too cold and I MUST get in, I keep a wet suit, boots, hood and gloves. I don't like it, but it's been worth the investment.
    Carl

Over the past week I've not noticed any unusual drop in water level, so I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

I'm wondering if sometime over the winter enough water accumulated on the cover to displace enough water in the pool to cause it to leak out somewhere above the normal water level. We did have some significant rains over the winter that required I remove quite a bit of water from the cover at once.
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    Over the past week I've not noticed any unusual drop in water level, so I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

I'm wondering if sometime over the winter enough water accumulated on the cover to displace enough water in the pool to cause it to leak out somewhere above the normal water level. We did have some significant rains over the winter that required I remove quite a bit of water from the cover at once.
    Hi Jim

It's quite possible that water was pushed out of the pool over the winter by the water on the cover AND a plug of ice in the pool.

What you can do to see if you have a leak is mark the water line (I usually use electrical tape on the skimmer mouth) and see if the water drops after a day or so. {you don't have to get wet and cold this way }

There are other ways to determine what might be leaking if you are loosing water (bucket test, vessel test ...).

If you need more assistance from me on this, simply ask
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Quote Originally Posted by waste View Post
    Hi Jim

It's quite possible that water was pushed out of the pool over the winter by the water on the cover AND a plug of ice in the pool.

What you can do to see if you have a leak is mark the water line (I usually use electrical tape on the skimmer mouth) and see if the water drops after a day or so. {you don't have to get wet and cold this way }

There are other ways to determine what might be leaking if you are loosing water (bucket test, vessel test ...).

If you need more assistance from me on this, simply ask
    Thanks. I appreciate the response and suggestions.

No ice in the pool this year. Actually, it's rare we get freezing in the pool during the winter here on the VA.

I've been keeping an eye on the water level the past couple weeks and it doesn't seem to be going down any faster than normal from evaporation. If later I notice it going down faster than normal I'll try the bucket test so I can tell if its something other than evaporation.

Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread