+ Reply to Thread

Thread: thinking of buying a robotic pool cleaner, is it worth it..

Default thinking of buying a robotic pool cleaner, is it worth it..

looking at various used robotic pool cleaners , and some lower cost new units. Probally going to be around the 500 dollar range.
    currently i use either manual vacuuming for spot treatments or i also have a barracuda automatic suction type cleaner.
    Those methods work, but i may want an easier option.

looking from some advice on if its worth the jump into one of these units. how much maintenance is required of them and maybe some owners can post ages of there current ones so i can gauge how long they may last.

thanks

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: thinking of buying a robotic pool cleaner, is it worth it..

I've had two brands: Dolphin and Blue Diamond.
    My experience with the Dolphin was that it worked GREAT for 2 seasons, then failed. I sent it back to their support company, came back just as bad. They suggested I tape lead weights to the unit...lead, in water my kids swim in. Finally they sent me a replacement unit. That worked for a season and then started giving me trouble. I finally sold it.

The Blue Diamond worked for a couple of seasons and then failed. Unlike the Dolphin, I was able to drop the unit off nearby. Rather than pick it up, they shipped it back to me ahead of schedule and it's worked ever since, 3 seasons now.

The Dolphin is "smarter" and doesn't tangle its cord on the ladder. I have to take it out every time I vacuum. But that's easy. The Diamond is much, MUCH faster (3 hrs vs 8 hrs) and has a far easier to clean bag, but it's just as effective as the Dolphin's. The remote is much cruder, but the three drive motors (left and right track, and vacuum) are 3x the size of the Dolphin's and pack more power.

For both, one cycle is like a day's worth of filtering--they pump that much water through. Since my pump is laid up for a few more days, the BD is keeping my water clear with a once-a-day run.

Is it worth it? To me it is. Is it to you? Only you can decide.
    Carl

We just bought the Dolphin Atlantis. WE LOVE IT!! I researched several brands before buying this one. Very simple to use, cleaned our pool spotless in 3 hours. It also cleaned the walls. And let me say the pool was dirty. We will post preriodically thru the season on our likes/dislikes with it. Yes they are pricey but I think well worth the cost.
    1 1/2hp Emerson 2speed pump, BBB
    27' round 19.3K gal AG Vinyl Liner pool; sand filter; pump: 24 hrs on low; Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Chlorine; utility water ; PF:6.9

After much deliberation, I bought a Polaris 9400 last year on sale. Though it was kinda pricy I love it. After only one season I am happy. It better last several more. I just checked their website and the new modes have some added features. If any one else has one I'd like to hear what they think.
    18x40 Lazy L 30K gal IG Vinyl pool; tri-clor feeder; Hayward #250 sand sand filter; Hayward super-1-1/2 HP pump; ; Taylor 2006c; utility water- PF:4

We have used our new Dolphin Atlantis several time now. When we first bought it I said we would post the pros and cons as the season progressed. So far, no cons. It is well worth the cost. I would definately reccomend to anyone looking for a robotic cleaner.
    1 1/2hp Emerson 2speed pump, BBB
    27' round 19.3K gal AG Vinyl Liner pool; sand filter; pump: 24 hrs on low; Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD Chlorine; utility water ; PF:6.9

I have the original Aquabot. I got it used and it had a short in the cord (very common problem) but once I got that fixed and put a few new parts on it, it has been working great. Kind of a pain to clean the filter on it, but I found out the hard way that these are made for maintenance type cleaning, not taking up large amounts of crud. I can't speak for other brands.

PoolDoc is offline Administrator Quark Inspector PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars PoolDoc 5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by inultus View Post
    but I found out the hard way that these are made for maintenance type cleaning, not taking up large amounts of crud. I can't speak for other brands.
    I think that problem exists with all brands for robotic cleaners. They work fairly well on indoor pools, and locations out West where there's not a lot of debris in the pool, besides dust and silt. But, in areas like the Southeast with lots of leaves and thunderstorms, they don't perform well.

+ Reply to Thread