+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What type of filter should I use?

prh129 is offline Lifetime Member Widget Weaver prh129 0

Question What type of filter should I use?

What is the difference between a sand and a cartridge type filter? I have a 24' above ground pool and there are trees in my yard so I will be getting debris from them throughout the year. Thanks. Peter

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Hands down in my opinion -- a sand filter. There is next to no maintenance on a sand filter. My sand filter (also 24ft AG) does a great job for me and I rarely have to do anything to it. I have to backwash once every 2-4 weeks which involves turning a handle a couple of times. Takes me about 2 minutes. Cartridge filters are a real pain to clean and expensive to replace the cartridges. I know some people like them, but I'd venture to say that most people don't. I would never even consider getting one. Sand is too easy and does a good job. I don't think you would regret getting one. Hope this helps.

Watermom

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Only type of filter I have ever owned is cartridge. Had one in my spa and now have one in my pool/spa combo. Takes me about 10 minutes to hose it off once a month and the cartridge is good for about 5 years. My water is crystal clear. Sand is least efficient at filtering small particles, DE most efficient, cartridge falls somewhere in between. All three types work well if properly installed and matched to pump and rest of system. From my understanding DE is the most work, Sand second most (have to hook up that backwash hose!) and cartridge the easiest but I could be wrong since I have never owned a sand filter and only have used DE filters on very large aquariums. Yes, the cartridges can be expensive to replace (mine is $110) but over their life that works out to just over $20/year for me. One thing about cartrige filters, if possible stay away from the ones that use multiple cardriges if possible. they are a horror to take apart and clean. the ones that use one large cartridge are very easy and unless you have a really huge pool probably aren't necessary.

+ Reply to Thread