+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to regain control of pool

Default Trying to regain control of pool

I let my pool get away from me for the past 2 months. So now I have quite the battle ahead of me. My pool is Dark green, with what I call little Algae plants floating in it. So where do I start?
    I have a round 8500 gallon above ground pool with Vinyl liner (Not Intex type)

Here are my readings as of right now

Chlorine - 0
    PH - off the chart on the high side. (Took 25 drops of the acid demand test to get it to read normal)
    CYA - 85

I know last year I had luck with shock levels of around 25. But with algae being so bad right now, do I take it higher? How high can I take it without damaging the liner?

Thanks

Tim
    18' round 8.3K gal AG pool; Tablets, switching to Bleach; sand filter; 1.5 hp pump; 8hrs; K-2006; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; android phone; PF:15

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Trying to regain control of pool

First off, double check your pH. If you are still unsure, take a sample to a pool store. If it is STILL insanely high you'll need to bring pH down using Muriatic Acid. You want it no lower than 7.0 and no higher than 7.8...but lower is better then you'll want to shock it to 20-25ppm...25 ppm shouldn't hurt your liner if your CYA is 85. But your real goal should be 20. Start there.

But adjust pH first because high FC levels give false high pH levels.
    Carl

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

It might help to physically remove any of the material you can as you start your shock (after fixing pH). It's cheaper to lift it out than to buy chlorine to burn it out.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

084b.jpgThis is what I am dealing with...

I have already used 2 gallons of bleach since this morning to keep the chlorine levels at 25. Chlorine is being used very fast.
    18' round 8.3K gal AG pool; Tablets, switching to Bleach; sand filter; 1.5 hp pump; 8hrs; K-2006; utility water; summer: ; winter: ; android phone; PF:15

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Did you bring pH down when the FC was low? The higher pH is, the less effective chlorine is.
    Carl

Yes. I stayed up until last last night bringing the ph down in small increments. (I didn't think I could add 1 gallon of muratic acid all at once) Then I put in enough bleach to bring the chlorine level to 30. When I got up this morning it was at 20, and I have been adding bleach all day to try and keep it above 25. (about 2 gallons so far)

Tim

OK. You should see progress soon.
    Carl

The pool lost about 10 FC last night. (Started at 30 and this morning it was at 20) CC is at 2. The color of the water has changed from a dark swampy green to a light teal color. I am not able to see the bottom at all.

Does this sound ok that I am losing this much Chlorine at night? My pump and filter has been running constantly and everytime I sweep the sides and bottom I stir up more algae. Should I go ahead and try to vacuum even though I cant see anything yet, or just keep doing what I have been?

Thanks

Tim

BigDave is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars BigDave 3 stars

You should lose FC while fighting algea - it's being consumed destroying the algea. Green to teal - sounds like a big improvement.

You're doing the right things - keep the FC up, filter, and brush. Remeber to backwash as neeeded but not more often than necessary.
    12'x24' oval 7.7K gal AG vinyl pool; ; Hayward S270T sand filter; Hayward EcoStar SP3400VSP pump; hrs; K-2006; PF:16

Yup, that's what's supposed to happen. Backwash when the pressure goes up more than 5 lbs, but not before.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread