+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DE filter causing flow problem for SWCG & auto prime on pump

Default DE filter causing flow problem for SWCG & auto prime on pump

{equipment models in sig below]
    When the pool was new I had no problems with auto prime or low flow on the SWCG. After the patio around the pool was done I started have problems with the pump not priming. Thinking it was the mess from construction I backwashed the filter but, it didn't really help. Then I completely cleaned the filter and membranes but, had inconsistent results, sometimes it would prime then it wouldn't. Eventually it stopped auto priming completely. I called Hayward & they told me to set the pump to 3 minute prime instead and I should lower the max RPM setting to 1750 rpm because the PB only used 1.5" plumbing to & form the pool. (2" @ the connections to the pump & filter). But that didn't help the low flow warning to the SWCG. They said I need at least 11 GPM to keep the SWCG going. Originally I could lower the pump to speed 1 which is 1000 rpm without a problem but, now I need to keep it over 1600 rpm or it will shut down. Had a hayward tech come and check the flow sensor but, he said it was good but, he replaced it anyway just to be sure. I then tried the valve on recirculate which bypasses the filter and both the auto prime & flow sensor work fine back down to the lowest pump speed. So if the filter is clean what could cause this?
    20'x34' rectangle 17.9K gal IG vinyl liner over concrete wall pool; Goldline T-15 SWCG; Hayward 4280 DE filter; Hayward 3400 VSP pump; Taylor 2006C ; utility water ; Hydramatic pool cover ; PF:6.7

Default Re: DE filter causing flow problem for SWCG & auto prime on pump

Can CYA clog a DE filter? Because I'm having the same problem as last year and realize it happened after adding a bag of CYA spread out into the pool not the skimmer. And the Hayward tech told me to add less DE after backwashing which helped last month but, then i added the CYA.
    20'x34' rectangle 17.9K gal IG vinyl liner over concrete wall pool; Goldline T-15 SWCG; Hayward 4280 DE filter; Hayward 3400 VSP pump; Taylor 2006C ; utility water ; Hydramatic pool cover ; PF:6.7

+ Reply to Thread