Thread: Swimming with dogs

Default Swimming with dogs

As someone who is considering installing a pool, and who owns Labrador Retrievers who love to swim, what should I consider about having a pool where they can swim?

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Swimming with dogs

I have a German Shepherd that loves to swim in our pool, and there is another user, AnnaK, who has 2 or 3 shepherds that swim in her pool on a regular basis. My pool has a vinyl liner, which is always a concern with dogs because it wouldn't be hard for sharp nails to rip through a liner, but I taught my dog to only enter and exit the pool via the steps. If I had the dog before I installed the pool, I probably would have gone with a different surface than liner, but so far we haven't had a problem--the dog is no harder on the pool than the kids are I also use a skimmer sock in the skimmer to help contain some of the hair before it gets into the plumbing.

My dog has also been taught that she's only allowed in the pool when she's invited in, so that she doesn't get in and inadvertently scratch young swimmers who are also in the pool. It also reduces the risk that she will get in during the winter while the water is too cold, and possibly not be able to get to her exit point.

You can log out, go to the main poolforum site, and look for any post made by me, Watermom, or Pooldoc, and then use the google search link located in our sigs--that will allow you to search the entire forum and archives for other advice about dogs in the pool.

Welcome to the forum!
    Janet