+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help needed in replumbing a new AquaPure style 3 port cell into old 2 port cell space

Anonymous European in the US Guest

Default Help needed in replumbing a new AquaPure style 3 port cell into old 2 port cell space

Hi,

I'm looking for some help with replacing an old style 2 port Clormatic III CM601 cell with one of the new Jandy AquaPure 1400 3 port cells. My current installation is show in the photos below. The cell seems to be butted up very close to the elbows and tees, with no spare pipe in between. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way of doing this? Thanks! Steve

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Help needed in replumbing a new AquaPure style 3 port cell into old 2 port cell s

If the new unit is the same size, there's no problem. But if it's bigger, you're going to have an exercise in PVC plumbing. I THINK (and I'm not the plumber here) the LEAST restrictive way would be to cut the right upright down a bit, use a 45 deg Sched 40 elbow to move it out and another to straighten it back up to vertical, then fit as needed. Two 45s should have roughly no more resistance than one 90deg elbow. I would think you could pick up 3" to 6" more horizontal room that way.
    Carl

Default Re: Help needed in replumbing a new AquaPure style 3 port cell into old 2 port cell s

Hi,
    I know of two ways to save that valve. The easiest and most economical is to buy a "pipe extender." (Sellers can be found on Google if you search "pvc pipe extender") With this, you cut flush to the valve and glue this fitting inside the stub that remains. It flares out and then accepts a new 2" pipe. The downside is that it restricts the flow by more than you might think...about 30%; not good but not any worse than all the pools out there built with 1.5" plumbing. The other method is to hire a plumber that owns a "Pipe Hog." This tool goes on a drill and reams out the pvc pipe stub inside the valve. I've never tried, but maybe you can rent one. Good luck with your project and take some comfort in knowing that it's a common problem.
    Discount Salt Pools

I know it's been over a month but, that valve provides for you to plumb to the outside of the port as well as inside. It looks like the inside has been used (2"). You can cut the 2" pipe flush with the edge of the valve, glue a 2 1/2 coupling over the outside of that port, bush down to 2" and continue on.
    4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Factory Warranty/Service for: Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris, and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

Thanks for the tip! I did not know that the outside of the port would fit into a 2.5" coupling, a part that can be had a the local hardware store. Next time, I'll do it this way.
    Discount Salt Pools

+ Reply to Thread