+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Closed Pool this past weekend

Default Closed Pool this past weekend

I closed my pool this past weekend. I have to say it was alot of work, though most of it was double, triple, quadruple checking everything I was doing, though I believe it went well.

I tried using my 3hp shop vac to blow out the lines......... that was no good. I researched online and ended up using a 2hp compressor Ive had for 30 years with a 20 gallon tank. I realize compressors are generally frowned upon regarding pool closing, but this compressor allows me to regulate output pressure. I set output to between 20/25 psi. I started with the polaris port (being the easiest) then moved along to all the others. Before plugging the final port to any valve setting, I allowed some pressure to be diverted to another port/location (I was afraid if I didnt do this that I could possibly overwhelm the system with pressure)

I had my main drains blowing air and gurgling at the surface, skimmers appear to have blown out fine. I guess if I made a mistake I'm just 7 months from realizing it........... hopefully not.

I left pool water at mid skimmer location (pool company did this every year), Gizmos installed in skimmers, plugs in all returns (under air pressure), air locked all ports..... hopefully.

I pulled the DE filter cartridge to clean completely for the spring. Polaris and Pool pump are removed, pipes plugged.

Upon reading this, do the powers that be on this board believe I may have made an error? Granted, I didn't list everything I did to close the pool........ just what I believe to be the most confusing/difficult aspect of pool closing.

Thanks - Rob
    18x38 free-form 24K gal IG vinyl pool; trichlor; jandy DEL DE filter; jandy 1 speed pump; 8 hrs; heat pump, mineral being eliminated; currently test strips.; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl / water bags; none; PF:5

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Closed Pool this past weekend

I don't close my pool, so I am not the authority here, but it sounds like you covered most all the bases, as long as you also prepared your water. Basically, you just want all the water removed from any pipe to make sure that there's no freezing/bursting happening. I'm sure others will chime in here, but I think you've pretty much covered it all....
    Janet

Sounds like you got it under control.

A couple things to mention in case you haven't done them; remove the pressure gauge from the filter and store it indoors and remove the drain plugs from the pump(s) to prevent freeze damage.

I'm going to try a couple products this year to help with closing the pool by myself (before I was able to do everything by myself except blow out the lines). Anyone try these before?

http://www.amazon.com/ANDERSON-WINTE...rson+duck+plug

http://www.amazon.com/Blowout-Skimme...ref=pd_cp_hi_2
    22'x40' Grecian Lazy L 20K gal IG vinyl pool; Aqua Rite SWCG T15 cell; Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter; Hayward Superpump 1hp pump; 12 hrs; Taylor K-2006; city; PF:6

Jim, Thanks for the advice. The pumps were always stored inside, though the pressure guage was left on the filter. I'll pull it and store it. I currently have the filter and heater covered for the winter with a tarp.
    18x38 free-form 24K gal IG vinyl pool; trichlor; jandy DEL DE filter; jandy 1 speed pump; 8 hrs; heat pump, mineral being eliminated; currently test strips.; utility water; summer: none; winter: vinyl / water bags; none; PF:5

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Sounds like you did OK.
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread