+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What have I done?

Default What have I done?

Hi all,

I opened my pool three days ago. Nasty green algae everywhere! I used what we call Javex 12, not regular bleach, but the really strong stuff. Algae started to die. The water was clearing, but still cloudy, but no longer green. I swept, yesterday. Today I vaccumed. That was around 3 this afternoon. When I was done, I could still see bottom. At 5, I can't see half way down the pool!! What did I do? What do I do next? My pool is an 18x33 AG with approx 12,000 gallons. I don't have any real numbers to give you, but before anyone flogs me, I have a Taylor test kit coming any day now. I've never had a problem with algae in the spring before so this is new to me. I'm not sure of my water temp, but it's probably in the high 50's. Is that part of my problem? My chlorine levels are where they should be. Would it help to put my solar blanket on?
    Thanks for any help or suggestions,
    Marlene

timmie is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst timmie 0

Default Re: What have I done?

Hi, I have the same problem.......and I have a 17 x33 pool . I was told that it was 70, 000 gallons or litres! I cant remember. I was told to turn my pump off overnight by a pool store and let the algae settle and then vacumn to waste in the morning or evening. If you vacumn like you normally do, you dont get rid of the algae it goes into the filter?? Dont take my word, as I have a post on here and am waiting a reply also.
    My chlorine level is very high in the pool. and I am not sure if this in itself will get rid of the algae without vacumning it up.

Hi folks. Just thought I would chime in here and try to help out a couple fellow Canucks. Keep your filters running 24hrs/day. Dont put on your solar blanket. Keep vacumming your pools like normal and backwashing when needed. You absolutely have to get some real numbers for people to work with. Even if it means having to go to a pool store to get it done. Just dont buy or add anything to your pools that they recommend. You can even go to Canadian Tire and get the cheap 2 way test kit which is pretty cheap. It will give you a pretty decent idea of chlorine levels, which will be one of the most important things right now. Get down to your local grocery store and pick up a bunch of UNSCENTED bleach and get ready to add it to your pool!

Hi,

In my two way kit, my chlorine level is around 2, and my PH is a little low, around 6. Going to a pool store right now is out of the question, I'm two ferry rides and an hour drive away from one!

Marlene, 3 gallons of 6% bleach will give you a chlorine of about 15ppm. As long as your stabilizer isn"t really high that should work. Keeping it there by adding your bleach at night and running your filter 24/7 should start clearing this up. If your PH really is at 6 you need to get it up to about 7.6 quickly. Go to a grocery store and get a hold of a few boxes of plain old 20 Mule Team Borax. Add it to your pool about 1/2 box at a time and keeping adding and testing until you get the PH into range.

duraleigh Guest

Marlene,

"Wolly's" advice is rock solid. Get that pH up Now!! Heed his/her entire post.

Thanks for the advice, I'm at work right now, but just as soon as I get home, I'll do as instructed. I'll let you know how things go!

I'm pretty sure you need to recalculate your gallons also. I have a 15 x 30 and the manufacturer says I have 14,850 gal.

Shelley

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by timmie
    Hi, I have the same problem.......and I have a 17 x33 pool . I was told that it was 70, 000 gallons or litres! I cant remember. I was told to turn my pump off overnight by a pool store and let the algae settle and then vacumn to waste in the morning or evening. If you vacumn like you normally do, you dont get rid of the algae it goes into the filter?? Dont take my word, as I have a post on here and am waiting a reply also.
    My chlorine level is very high in the pool. and I am not sure if this in itself will get rid of the algae without vacumning it up.
    The chlorine will kill the algae, but will not remove it. Your filter will do that, eventually, but it's faster to vacuum it out.

Janet

The reason I'm saying I have 12,000 gallons is because when we had the pool installed, the company put 12,000 in it for us, and I have it filled to the same level that they did. I could put much more in it.
    I'm home from work now, and I added the borax. I'll wait a while before I put the bleach in.

+ Reply to Thread