+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pool Plaster Mottling?

Default Pool Plaster Mottling?

A few months ago I had posted a question on here about some streaky stains I noticed on my pool.. After more research and observation, I wanted to pose a question and ask for followup advice.

I have a 15000 gallon white plaster saltwater pool. The pool was completed in February. The plaster crew did a pretty crummy job the first go around with a propane torch and I noticed some flaking in a few areas. I contacted the pool buiodler and he was furious and I beleive he canned the plaster crew. He had another crew come in, drain the pool and replaster it which was done in March. There were no rough or flaky spots and a few weeks after second plaster job was complete and pool was treated, I noticed some streaky areas. I brought these to the attention of the builder and he said some discoloration was normal in white plaster pools and that even he has these streaky areas in his own pool The oddest thing, I ONLY NOTICE THESE SPOTS on cloudy, overcast days, and at dawn and dusk. When its sunny, the pool is crystal clear.

I keep the pool very clean and balanced. I treate it with Regal Metal Out once a month.

My meausrements are always in the range as follows:

PH: 7.2-7.8
    TA: 90-110
    Chlorine: 2-3 PPM
    CH: 340
    CYA-100

I did some additional research and Im convinced the greay and blotchiness is plaster mottling. I tried rubbing some vitamin C tablets on some spots today and it did nothing. I used a device to fill with muriatic acid and attach to the pool pole as a spot remover and it did nothing. Im convinced it is something in the plaster. Some areas seem to be more noticeable over the past month. There is some steaky yellowish stains too where it looks like it was water underneath the plaster seeping from the gunite plaster.. I have had no problems with algae. A metal bristled brush did nothing to remove the stains (both the yellow hue stain and gray blotchy areas).

Besides having a 2nd plaster job and a leak repaired, im tired of dealing with pool builder and it has been a nice summer enjoying my pool without having to deal with them.

My pool is under warranty still. I wanted to see if anyone knows if any remedies or chemicals I can use to try to lighten or get rid of these stains. My research hasnt yielded much besides having it drained and acid washed, or replastered again.. Im also almost a the point where I can probably just deal with it because as I said, during the day its bright white and crystal clear, but I also dont want these areas to get worse over time.

It was too windy to take photos today to put on here so apologies.

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: Pool Plaster Mottling?

I really can't advise you on this. Ben has been dealing with some other things for a few days but should be back around the forum next week. I'll ask him to take a look at your thread.

+ Reply to Thread